pontiac grand prix GTP

30

Asked by Apr 22, 2014 at 08:50 PM about the 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

i have a 2004 pontiac grand prix gtp, i had my power steering pump changed and every
since my car is loosing antifreeze n trys to over heat but dont, its not leaking i dont have
milky or watery oil and im not blowing white smoke out the exhaust. i changed the upper
radiator hose cause i noticed it was collapsing but that didnt help it any. any suggestions
on what it could b?

66,105

Check the plastic elbows at the serpentine belt tentioner, the tentioner itself and the heater hoses. My guess is that your mechanic went through the top instead of through the right front wheel well to change the power steering pump. If so, these parts were disturbed or removed and are now leaking. You'll want to bleed the air out of the cooling system as well. HTH. -Jim

30

he did end up changing the plastic elbows cause he tried to reuse them n they were leaking, he changed both of them but it is still losing antifreeze some where n my temp gauge keeps goin up but then drops back down when the car is moving! and yes he did go thru the top to change the power steering pump.

66,105

Did someone put a stop leak product in the cooling system? That'll cause the temperature gauge fluctuations as well because the cooling system may be restricted from it. HTH. -Jim

30

No I have never put ne n it!! My heat n everything worked fine til I had 2 change my power steering pump. I was told it could b the thermostat sticking, that my head gaskets could b seaping, but no water is n oil n im not blowing white smoke, also was said it mite b my heater core plugged but its not leaking on my floor boards. We put the metal elbows on. My temp gauge will go all the way up 2 almost the red but when I drive it it will drop back down between the half mark n hot mark or rite above the half mark, my heat blows out cool air n every once n while will get just a lil warm but not hot like it used 2 b4 he changed power steering pump!

66,105

Sounds like there's air in the cooling system. These cooling systems must be bled once they are drained and refilled. There's a bleeder valve at the thermostat housing. With the engine cold remove the radiator cap and open this bleeder valve. Leave the valve open until a steady stream of coolant comes out. Let it run out for about 10 seconds then close the valve and top off the radiator. There's also a tool for this that Advance Auto Parts sells. Check the routing of your serpentine belt as well. If the belt was not put back on correctly the water pump may be spinning backwards. Lastly check the bolts for the water pump. One sits behind the power steering pump. If it was removed by mistake it may be seeping/leaking from that area. HTH. -Jim

30

thank you very much you have been a great help, im gonna try all of these options today

66,105

You're welcome. Glad to help. -Jim

Did it work ?

I have a question

66,105

Azera2207, start a new thread so we can all see your question. - Jim