2004 grand prix GTP (automatic) works in reverse but won't work in drive or manual. what could be the issue?

Asked by Jul 24, 2012 at 12:21 AM about the 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

was working fine. i turned the car off for 2 minutes, started it back up and wouldn't move unless in
reverse. manual/paddle shifting didn't work either. all general maintenance kept up very well and never
had any issues before. no issues with shift knob either still moves smoothly, but drive won't engage at all.

6,975

have a look at the shifter cable to see if it is not worn . is the transmission fluid ok on inspection?

12,745

First check tranny fluid level. Then check linkages and make sure tranny is goinng into gear. If all that is ok check fluid condition. One good way to get a general idea is to pull the tranny dip stick and with a clean white cloth wipe it down. You will see red color and brown or black. If you have a lot of darkness to the oil you have significant internal wear. This may be the cause of no response to the forward gears.

215

i checked the fluid, the level is good, its still reddish but it is a little dark but i wouldn't say brown or black. how do i check the shift cable and or/ the linkages?

12,745

Get someone to help you. Have one person in the car moving the gear selector and the other watching the top of the tranny where the cable connects to the tranny. You should be able to tell if the cable is moving the gear position selector.

5

your tranny has slipped time for another 4T65E HD

215

i know at this point its a little late but i forgot to mention if you hit the accelerator it revs up but still has no movement. im guessing that doesn't make much difference or you guys figured that on your own.

2,875

need a rebuild

6,975

seems in need of a rebuild.. how many miles on the G P? 150k miles?

215

120k

Is it possible that the tulip on thr cv axle has slipped out of the transfer case ?my lil brother replaced his passenger cv axel and while driving and turning it just quit in all drive forward gears. Im looking at it now and the axel is as loose as could be

I know the tire need replaced on passager side

10

Check the solenoid. .....thats sound like the problem. ......

I have a 2004 Pontiac grand prix by and when I put it in reverse and drive it want to make a clanking noise and when I put on the gas it make a juckin feeling