abs problem . light come on after few minute after a run the car on the street,tc off ..

35

Asked by Nov 29, 2014 at 01:51 PM about the 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GT1

a start my car ..and a go on the street ,,after few stop and go..my break(pedal)shake little(press on it) ,like im on ice.. and a little vibration on..and few minute later ,,my abs light go on ..and my TC w'ont work after that.(my cluster info on dash say"repare abs ..").but my breaking is ok , what a can do for this...?? check wire..sensor?relay or module??what can coz that ?.. (my e-mail is  wt984@hotmail.com) for  reply.. thanks!!  p.s im from Sorel Qc Canada..

35

i'm not familiar whit abs system ... :/

3,955

While it could be the ABS system or a sensor it is more likely a failed wheel bearing or front axle, or both. It seems that things work under very close tolerances at the wheels and a worn drive line parts seem to allow enough movement to send incorrect readings to the brake system which eventually makes it shut down. I've had that happen on several GM front wheel drive cars and after replacing bearings and axles the computer gets it figured out and the problem goes away. If your car has 180,000 km or more on it those front end parts are pretty much worn out and will start giving you problems. If its in the budget change out both front axles and both front bearings. Use the best quality parts you can find so you're not doing it again in a year (I speak from experience) and you should be good for another 100,000 km.

3,955

ALSO... the good news is its not an emergency. If repairs are not in the budget you can drive the car like this for a long time. I've had the same problem with my GP for about a year and other than not having ABS and having a bit of a vibration from time to time it gets me around just fine. I'll fix it when I have the money.

35

thank alot *munron I will check it.. /// I change my left front berring in june ,,maybe is the right side is going off?,, I have noo lousse in the hub/berring..I check ,if some wire cutting off the signal...,,maybe I have a bad one... If I have a chance ... I will check all ... thanks !!