Transmission

765

Asked by Sep 17, 2008 at 01:03 AM about the 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GT

I read a comment last night from someone that had tranny problems.I was wondering what those problems were? My first GP was a '97.When I got to almost 200,000 KM I had to replace the tranny.I had the engine oil changed,and my technician usually checks all the fluids.When he checked the tranny,the fluid was dark gray.He serviced the tranny and two weeks later,the same thing.My question is will the same thing happen to my 2002 GP? Because I am not sure if GM upgraded the tranny for this year.

10,645

They do have their problems. I would reccommend changing the trans fluid atleast every 50k miles. I have seen many problems out of that particular transmission mstly due to neglect. I had a 2000 GTP and was pretty much pushing that limits of the tranny in both torque and hp, and it performed flawlessly. As with any car. Take care of it and it will take care of you.

95

Just like micheal said. Service it about every 50K and you should be good. But one thing i've heard with alot of car companys is if the fluid isnt changed within the first 75k-100k then you shouldnt change it at all because it can actually make the tranns go out. It could actually flush out grime (which sounds like it is good) but the grime could be helping actually to plug leaks and what not. So your best bet is to servise regularly

765

Thank You Michael.

765

Hey Chris,I had my oil changed this morning,and my technician recomended that I service the tranny on my next service,which will be @122,500KM.Do you think I should add Lucas Oil?

345

i think they fixed it my 2003 has shown now signs of a problem at 200,000km

155

GM transmissions are notoriously bad. I have driven a lot of different GM cars, Chevy, Pontiac, Buick, they all had really rough transmissions. I drove one that barely had 2,000 miles on it, it was slipping like crazy.

95

Lucas deffinatly wont hurt. I live by lucas. I use it anything i have. If your doing it thought to just hide a problem it will only be temporary. But if your gonna use it as an additive then there is deffinatly no harm in it at all. I use it oil and transmissions and i will always recommend unless its just to "hide" a problem. Hope that helps and good luck.