Why does the gear shifter get stuck on park?It also may be causing ignition key to get stuck as well?

Asked by Feb 26, 2007 at 10:31 AM about the 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GT

Hello, There is a switch in the column that may need to replaced to fix this problem. Best of luck! CarGrrl

solenoid gone bad in the shifter. $400

it could be the shiftlock which is part of the shifter i had to change mine out cuz my key would never come out!

Your ignition key may be worn down. Do you have a second set of keys? Try that key. If not, those keys are a little high for keys, but it might be worth the try.

where is the column you r talking about? and yes my ignition is hard to shut all the way off also and would you know aout how much that would cost or is it easy to do myself?

My 2006 Pontiac Pursuit often gets stuck in 'Park'. All I have to do is turn the motor off (leaving the key in the ignition), lock the doors using the remote FOB, and then start the motor again. This procedure unsticks the gear shift. Probable reason: When the gear shifter works properly, it locks the doors as soon as you pull it out of Park. Sometimes it is too much for it's little electric brain, so you have to do the door locking yourself, first.

my 2002 won"t come out of park w\brake pedal, i have changed the shifter & the the brake switch on the pedal, because thats what the "mechanics" told me to do. I need to know whats next. Any help would be great!