removing a key stuck in the ignition

Asked by Feb 25, 2015 at 06:16 PM about the 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GT1

does anybody know how to remove a stuck key for this model? The ignition key/switch is
in the dashboard, not the steering column so the usual quick fix is not available. Is there
a similar solenoid switch they can be reset somewhere under the dashboard? Thank you
in advance

3,085

This vehicle was recalled for the GM ignition switch. Go to a Chevy/Buick/Cadillac/GMC dealer and have them replace the ignition switch for free.

that recall (# 2014350) is for unintended ignition key rotation. According to the dealer, they can only replace the ignition key ( big deal) not the ignition switch. May be electrical problem with the cable or wiring underneath the shifter in the center console. There is a workaround for similar models with the ignition key in the steering column by resetting the solenoid; this model has an in dash ignition key/switch. I was wondering if a similar quick fix would allow me to remove the key from the dashboard. Thank you.

3,085

I never had that issue when I had my Grand Prix, but do you have a full charge on the battery and have you tried moving the shifter back and forth? You could also see if there is a manual release under that little rubber panel right below the ignition switch.

So, How did you get your key out? I am having the same issue with my 05 grand prix.

Got raped at the dealership; over $300 for a new lock cylinder,key and labor. No manual release on my model; if the tumblers are damaged or worn the cylinder needs to be replaced,

dang!!! NO manual release on my model either. The ignition is in the dash. Maybe I can save money by replacing it myself, but the dealership just told me it could be a few different things. Like tumblers, key, brake switch or shift switch.