My car jerks and stutters and the check engine light is on

25

Asked by Mar 20, 2008 at 01:15 AM about the 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GT

43,935

This could be one of as many as 150 different problems. Have the check engine codes read, most auto parts stores do it for free. This will point you in the direction of what your problem may be.

75

What he said. If the check engine light is flashing, that indicates a multiple/random missfire code and I wouldn't drive on it at all. Get the codes read ASAP.

540

a quick way to check is to disconnect your battery for five minutes and connect it again and count the flashing codes, most likely its a tuneup issue but it could also be a plugged up converter, they do cause problems like what yoru having. and a good tech will tell you to do a tune up when in fact you need a new cat... i have seen this problem many times... hope this helps... and good luck

2,210

sounds like a common misfire issue...change the plugs and wires...check and replace if needed the fuel filter and air filter...if money available have the injector system flushed out by a reputable garage...could offer more if i had engine size...but this is a place to start ...

995

it's your throttle sensor what you need to do is go along your driver door and find your wiring harness, cut it open and look for the brown wire with a yellow stripe.. i've had this exact same problem with my 00 gt just cut the wire and soder one to a ground bolt and the other tape up

8,375

The first answer was the best answer and don't cut a harness cause someone had one particular problem. It is most likely a misfire from what you're saying but that can be anything from a sensor to a bad valve cover gasket causing that. Get the codes and start from there. If your impatient and want to do something right now... pull your plugs and check them, check your plug wires... then sit down and w8 till autozone opens.

465

Do not listen to that shultz guy unhooking the battery will not work because is OBD2 and don't cut the harness it does sound like a misfire issue get the codes read then report back. paul

10

how much u selling it for need the motor

i had a similar issue and it was a bad spark plug wire . buy a good set of plugs and wires and replace them . also you may wanna have your ignition coils checked or replace . something to change once in awhile

7,415

first read the computer trouble codes. seems like the ignition module or sparkplugs / sparkplug wires. you definitely have a misfire.

40

just drove my 2008 ford edge within two miles i realize that the car started to stuttered, my check engine light came on first i hear this sound like a punctured tire, then there was this weird smell .the muffler started stuttering.then my overhead light started blinking. If there is anyone out there who knows anything to help please thanks

10

Sounds like the down flow tube broke or the cat- converter blew out .....was the smell lime suffer if do it was the cat

60

My 02 grand am gt sputters like crazy and when it does the check engine light flashes , when I let off the gas and and it doesn't sputters the light goes off so there is no codes to read , help please . tune up and everything already done.

40

Just received a tune up from the CAR DEALER (Car ran well to home 7 Miles), it set in the garage for 1 day. started it up and my car started running like a truck when I pulled it out of the my garage, I am still trying to figure out the situation (Same Condition). Can someone please respond, (Check Engine Lite on=Blinking and running like it has a cold) 2005 Altima 4 door Sedan.

02 Bonneville ssei. the car sputters and hesistate when the boost meter goes over on the plus side.but if I ride the car normal not like a supercharger the car rides smooth n rarely sputters. I have done only one little thing to help and that was the lucas gas treatment "tune up in a bottle" . the car naturally runs on supreme so the quality of gas does not matter to help it run smooth. also my oil pressure meter is up at 120 and not in the middle

20

I have a Pontiac Grand Prix 2004 and I experienced jerking when going up a hill at around 45 miles per hour. I took it to the mechanic and he ran a diagnostic which indicated engine misfires. The mechanic said it may be spark plugs or wiring but I mention that the spark plugs and wiring were replaced recently. Mechanic replace the air filter and clean the throttle body. Also replaced fuel filter since it was never replaced. Replacement of fuel filter helped with the rough start but didn't help with the jerking. He then replace the ignition module. (I could have done it myself.) That didn't help. He also suggested replacing ignition coils and EGR. I decided to do those myself since it's only two screws for each of those. That didn't help. I came back to the shop another day and said that the problem was still occurring even with the suggested fixes that happened down on it. The mechanic been disconnected catalytic converter. He thought that the catalytic converter might be clogged. That didn't help and he reconnected the catalytic converter back to the car. He then said it might be either at the spark plugs or fuel injectors. We hope to have that computer again and he said he was getting a misfire on Cylinder 6. I asked him to swap out the spark plugs off Cylinder 6 with another cylinder. When he took out the spark plug from Cylinder 6 he noticed it was cracked on the porcelain. It was probably arching outside the cylinde, under stress when going up a hill and causing a misfire. The misfires resulted in loss of engine power and the jerking/stuttering.

First steering wheel fluid spattered every where, then the belt broke, then the alternator replaced, now it's jerking, running hot, and the accelerator gauge is going crazy.. I took it to O'Reilly's and Auto zone.. no codes