Ac works on passenger side but not on driver's side, what's the problem?

Asked by Jun 11, 2016 at 07:39 AM about the 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix 4 Dr SE Sedan

When I turn on the air I get cold air on the passenger side but not on the
driver's side. This car does not front and rear air so I can't figure out the
problem!

100

Hey everyone, I SOLVED THIS PROBLEM IN MY 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix. In my car, the driver's side was only blowing like normal temperature air (not HOT and not COLD, while the passenger side was ice cold. So, I read so many postings on a zillion websites, watched youtube videos, and thought for sure the problem was the actuator on the driver's side. If you don't know what the actuator is, it basically controls whether to open the 'hot air' or 'cold air' into that side of the vents. Google search it, or youtube it, and you'll learn about it. I figured it must be kinda left open or something. Anyways, I replaced the driver's side actuator, which was a NIGHTMARE to get to....but anyways, I did it, and it did NOT solve the problem. Bottom line, I decided to buy a can of AC Pro to recharge the system. The can, with the gauge and hose was like $40. Honestly, I didn't think it'd work. I pretty much figured that since the passenger side vents blew ICE COLD, the whole system should be fine, and something else has to be not allowing the cold air to blow out the driver's side....I thought maybe the temperature controls or something weren't working. But..................... IT WORKED!!! The driver's side vents are ICE COLD again!!!! Amazing! Anyways, that was my fix. Maybe it'll work for you.