The Keyhole on My Driver's Side Door turns, But Will Not Unlock or Lock

Asked by May 02, 2015 at 07:03 AM about the 1994 Pontiac Grand Prix 2 Dr SE Coupe

I have a 1994 GTP and for some reason, the keyhole on the driver's side door turns
loosely and does not unlock the door at all, making it to where I have to go to the
passenger side to open the doors

3,775

The linkage inside the door between the lock assembly and the actual door latch assembly has likely come apart. There are a couple of special plastic clips that hold things together. It's a bit of a chore to fix but it is something you can do yourself. Give yourself about 3 hours. Hopefully it will take a lot less time, but don't count on it if this is the first time you've worked on a car door. You will need to remove the inner door panel and at some point make a trip to the auto parts store or the dealership to get the correct clip. It should be a stocked part. Work slowly and carefully. There are several parts that can be damaged or broken if you are not careful. There's likely a how to vid on You Tube. Total cost should be under $5.