Tune up

10

Asked by Oct 01, 2016 at 04:00 PM about the 2005 Pontiac Grand Am SE

I want to do a tune up in my 05, Grand AM. I want to try and do this myself.
Can you tell me what I need to replace. Also my heat blower does no work
and it's not the fuse. It blows but I can't feel anything. One more, I changed
the surpintine belt and the check engine light is on?

22,845

Why do you think you need a "TUNE UP",. It's an archaic term!

20,915

Fist get it scanned by one of the auto parts stores for the set code or codes set. The blower if working and you can not feel it may be a flapper door not opening. As far as tune up this can vary depending on what has been done lately or not done lately. Air filter, Oil & filter change, Radiator flush, spark plugs & wires & cap rotor button if it has it, Trans fluid & filter if auto, Check & replace as needed, hoses, vacuum lines, Thermostat, Top off power steering & brake fluid, If very dirty use a turkey baster to remove some and then top off. Fuel filter, Clean or replace PCV valve, Clean MAF sensor in air intake just after filter with MAF cleaner, Remove Throttle body & IACV and clean with throttle body cleaner and install new gaskets, Check all electrical connections make sure all are on tight, Check/clean your battery terminal & terminal wires for corrosion and are on tight, Check your ground wires, check all lights are working, check your tires air pressure its going into winter and may need more air check side wall for tire pressure specs. Check all fuses. let us know the scanner details before you buy the sensor its code is set for as this can be another set of items to check/fix and sensor can actually be good. Check for vacuum leaks.

71,595

I'm assuming that you have the 4 cylinder engine since this is a SE model. A tune up should be done every 100,000 miles. It involves replacing the spark plugs and the spark plug boots. For the check engine light, visit your local auto parts store and have the computer scanned for trouble codes. Most stores will do it for free. HTH. -Jim