I have a 2000 Pontiac grand am. Last year I got my water pump changed, and ever since its been doing this jerking noise. I asked about it he said I needed a tune up, OK i got one but didnt fix my prob

Asked by Dec 05, 2015 at 06:44 PM about the 2000 Pontiac Grand Am SE1

Eventually it just cut off, someone told me
my timing was off. Then I took it Back to
the shop and he said it was getting
compression but didn't know what the prob
was. Then he  told me my motor is gone i I
think he just said that because he didn't
want to admit he messed my timing up and
I paid 650 for him to do it. But how do I
really know if my motor is gone

43,375

What size is the motor?

60,205

Compression test on all cylinders,this will let you know if it is bad,but it sounds like you need to have someone else check it besides the same mechanic.

2.4 L and yes I had someone else look at it then is when I was told my timing was off, then I took it back up to him because I paid for it already and that's when I was told my motor was gone. My intakes are leaking as well but wasn't leaking until after he did this job on my car Because he put suggestions on my receipt about what to get fixed on my car and the intakes wasn't on there at first it was when I took it back he told me!! I heard getting the intakes fixed might cost a lot tho he told me he couldn't do anything about my problem because my warranty was up! But I went back to him before it was up and that's when he told me about the intakes do you think this caused them To go bad

He said I was getting compression in all except one was low

43,375

Need to do a wet test in that cylinder, oil squirted into it then check the compression. If the compression does not rise, then there is a burnt valve that having the intake leak could cause this to happen. I don't know what to do about the first guy working on it, since he sounds like he is stiffing you. If he was in good character he would have looked at the problem sooner. On these cars it is a common problem for the intakes to start leaking.

What's a wet test? And if it is a valve is that bad?? I'm thinking about just giving up on this car but I haven't had any big problems until now

43,375

A compression test will tell the story on your motor whether it is worth fixing or not depending on how low the compression is in the one cylinder. The jerking could have ben from the timing marks not lined up properly. The intake leak is a common problem. The guy who worked on it sucks.

59,055

Ok, you have a timing chain set up, not a timing belt. A compression test will tell the tale. If all cylinders test very low or zero, it's jumped timing. Normal compression readings are around 150 or higher. One cylinder with low compression will cause the engine to run poorly. That may be the shaking you've been noticing. Was the service engine soon light flashing when it was shaking? If so, the engine was misfiring. A computer scan will tell you which cylinder was misfiring. Definitely take it to another shop for the compression test. Let us know what you find out. HTH. -Jim