Why do I have to add coolant every few days...when I stop at light or drive thru it goes over 200 a little ways I put new water pump on but the fans never kick on I don't think...what could it be

Asked by Aug 21, 2015 at 03:31 AM about the 2002 Pontiac Grand Am SE

There no leaks and never red line s  on
temp please help

If you don't have a true 50/50 mix of water and antifreeze you could be boiling off the water, or you head gasket is blown. •Coolant leaking externally from bellow the exhaust manifold. •White smoke from the exhaust pipe. •Overheating engine. •Bubbles in the radiator or coolant overflow tank. •White milky oil. •Significant loss of coolant with no visible leaks

Had same problem with my daughters grand am could not figure it out but I did put in some alum seal radiator stop leak removed upper radiator hose when engine was cool poured alum seal into hose reinstalled have not had a problem since and that has been a year now and still working.

Be aware the thermostat location is under the car toward the rear ... if you have a leak there it is very hard to spot. Continue checking for contamination . Also be aware that GM had a huge recall on your car about 10 years ago when the Delco anti-freeze dissolved head gaskets to the point of leaking into the oil ... yours may be a late bloomer