I have a 2002 grand am gt, I have changed water pump, thermostat, flushed the heater core and radiator and I still have no heat and it overheated on me tonight. I can't figure out what is wrong, help?

Asked by Jan 21, 2014 at 07:06 PM about the 2002 Pontiac Grand Am GT

Changed the thermostat twice, replaced the water pump, flushed the radiator and heater core. The car goes through coolant like no other. It now blows either hot or ice cold air no inbtwn. I can not figure out the problem, I actually need help with this. I don't want to shop it when I can normally fix anything.

275

Common problems on this vehicle are failures of the Coolant Fan Temperature Switch (VIN E TBI-V8 engine only), the Fuel Injectors (V6 engine only) and the Electronic Control Module (ECM), and a periodic problem is failure of the Fuel Injectors (PFI-V8 engine only). Failures of the Fuel Injectors may prevent the vehicle from starting.The cost to repair the Coolant Fan Temperature Switch is estimated at $9.00 for parts and $19.50 for labor.The cost to repair the Fuel Injectors (V6 engine) is estimated at $126.00 each for parts (total of 6) and $175.50 for labor.The cost to repair the ECM is estimated at $134.00 for parts and $65.00 for labor.The cost to repair the Fuel Injectors (PFI-V8 engine) is estimated at $134.00 each for parts (total of 8) and $338.00 for labor.All prices are estimates based on $65 per flat rate hour and do not include diagnostic time or any applicable sales tax. Transmission & Driveline Minimal Problems Infrequent problems reported, all with low repair costs. Steering & Suspension Minimal Problems Infrequent problems reported, all with low repair costs. Brakes Minimal Problems Infrequent problems reported, all with low repair costs. Heating & Air Conditioning Moderate Problems This vehicle was originally charged with R-12 refrigerant which is no longer being manufactured. The refrigerant is still available, but it is very expensive ($25.00-$50.00 per pound, 2-5 pounds per vehicle). Conversion to the new R-134A refrigerant is possible, at an average cost of about $100-$250 parts and labor. All prices are estimates based on $65.00 per flat rate hour and do not include diagnostic time or any applicable sales tax. Starting & Charging Moderate Problems An occasional problem on this vehicle is failure of the Ignition Lock Cylinder. Failure of the Ignition Lock Cylinder may prevent the vehicle from starting. The cost to repair the Ignition Lock Cylinder is estimated at $50.00 for parts and $97.50 for labor. All prices are estimates based on $65.00 per flat rate hour and do not include diagnostic time or any applicable sales tax. Accessories Minimal Problems Infrequent problems reported, all with low repair costs. Overall 4 out of 5 4 out of 5

56,575

Pull the oil dipstick. If it's got white milky "goop" on it and you have the 3.8 liter V6 it's most likely the intake gaskets. They're notorious for failure. Also, pressure test the cooling system. If it won't hold 15 PSI for at least 10 minutes and you can't see any visible leaking, intake gaskets are my prime suspect. HTH. -Jim

Thank you Jim. I will check my oil in the morning. If that's the case I need a heated garage to work in. That's a project with a sideways motor. If you think of anything else let me know. I don't let shops rape me because I am a girl. This problem though has stumped me. The last few times I checked my oil with this problem it is not milky. My coolant resivior had too much pressure.

9,055

After you changed the coolant system components listed have you been filling the coolant system motor, hoses and rad back up (running it for awhile with the rad cap off and topping up. You may have bleeder screws on the coolant lines near the heater to help purge air??? The overheading issue sounds like your coolant is airlocked in the motor or as they said sbove you have head gasket issues. You said that the coolant reservoir is pressuring up? That is not a good sign usually means that pressure from the compression stroke is entering the coolant system through a head gasket, the engine block or the head.

10

if you're pressurizing your overflow you're putting in a rock in your heater core.

10

sorry you are putting a air lock in your heater core your car has a blown head gasket

No

Similar issues - I bleed the coolant and it operates fine until the car sits longer period of time such as overnight. Overheats to 250deg after driving 2-3miles (the radiator side has lots of pressure) and then blows out coolant - need to add coolant / bleed and then the car runs at normal temp for the rest of the day. Head gasket was replaced about 15 months ago and the the oil has no coolant. It has been a challange to get all of the air out of the coolant system. Any ideas?