has anyone else's windows become completely scratched? i hav a 99 and im goin to get new windows but i want to make sure this wont happen again

155

Asked by Jan 10, 2008 at 11:50 PM about the 1999 Pontiac Grand Am 4 Dr SE2 Sedan

first for this,i have no clue,unless something in door came loose and is scratching your window,is this happening on one or both sides.

13,575

Before you spend the money for the new windows I would have the door panels checked out by someone your trust. It sounds like there's something in the window track that's either broken or worn or needs adjustment scratching your windows. If you don't get this fixed your new windows will also get scratched before long.

155

this is happening on all 4 windows

6,495

I have worked on many of these (way to many to count), and I have never come across this, where all four windows get scratches. The only thing I can think of is vandalisum, or someone play a joke on you but they either forgot or it got out of hand. When you take the door panels off (in order to replace glass), before they/you remove the old windows watch the glass going up and down many times, if something is binding you will see it here. You didn't mention were the scratches were on the glass (to one side, middle, here and there). Hope this helps and best of luck.

155

i just recently got this car a few months ago and hav been fixing it up ever since. i got it from my dads boss so i trust him and i know it wasnt vandalism. the scratches are on the outside in more so the middle. if i can get pictures of the scratches on the website do u think u could be able to figure anything else out? thank you

6,495

If you can get the pics, great I would be more than happy to help if I can

65

This is a common thing on Grand Am's and almost all GM products. Dirt becomes lodged in the moulding at the bottom of the window and everytime the window goes up and down the dirt will start to wear grooves into the glass.

change the window regulator. door panel? the door panel cannot make contact with the window.

Thanks for good information. Visit http://www.realestateitch.com

http://www.afinancialtimes.com

90,155

It's dirt and grit in the felt strip at the top of the door. Roll the window down and scrape it with a piece of plastic like a credit card to dislodge the junk.