I have a 1998 grand am with a leaking slave cylinder. Will this motor come out with a manual tranny or do I need to drop the subframe?

Asked by Jan 23, 2015 at 11:37 PM about the 1998 Pontiac Grand Am 2 Dr GT Coupe

Im getting ready to do this in a couple days and Im hearing differing opinions on
whether or not I can do this job without dropping the tranny. I want to do a water pump
at the same time so Im wondering if it will come out the top or what Im in for. I have no
lift and Im trying to make this as easy on myself as possible. I am a mechanic but I
mainly work on forklifts so Im a novice at this particular job. Any help is greatly
appreciated. Judging clearance issues in advance is a tough task with no experience.
Prepping a motor to come out the top that wont clear would be an awfully big waste of
time. Again, thanks for any help.

780

you can do this without taking the motor out of the car if you do all that you are doing to much work if you put the car up on jacks it would be the best way just in case you cant reach something from the top then you already set to reach it from the bottom and this way to can do the water pump also sometimes you have to drop the motor from the mounts to reach screws from the bottom hope this helps have faith you can do it