I have a 99 pontiac grand am se 3.4L V6. The issue is that it starts and idles fine but as soon as I go to accelerate it just shuts off. It did have overheating issues but right after I fixed those it started doing this. I replaced the cam position sensor and also the engine coolant temp sensor and it didnt help. I was thinking of replacing the ignition coil packs and housi g but not sure if that would fix it. There are no check engine lights or stored codes .

Asked by Dec 23, 2015 at 04:28 PM about the 1999 Pontiac Grand Am 4 Dr SE Sedan

I have a 99 pontiac grand am se 3.4L V6. The issue
is that it starts and idles fine but as soon as I go to
accelerate it just shuts off. It did have overheating
issues but right after I fixed those it started doing
this. I replaced the cam position sensor and also the
engine coolant temp sensor and it didnt help. I was
thinking of replacing the ignition coil packs and
housi g but not sure if that would fix it. There are no
check engine lights or stored codes .

25

I would not suggest changing your coil packs unless the car is running rough. I would focus on the transmission control solenoid, when properly functioning it controls the engine idle to save gas as the car warms. Unfortunately it was found as a known defect when it malfunctions due to age, it stalls the car because it gives a wrong signal which lowers the engine idle below what is needed to keep the transmission clutch assembly from stalling the car. Since it is part of the transmission technically it will not light the check engine light when it begins to fail. I can not actually say this may be your problem since I am unable to review the work on your car but I can tell you that unplugging the solenoid will do no harm to your transmission since you are only disconnecting the communication between the transmission and idle controls. I would advise you to disconnect the plug from the solenoid and if the car stops stalling the solenoid needs replaced. It is to the right of the engine on the transmission facing you as soon as you pop the hood. I am confident this is most likely the culprit and it is not expensive to replace, it is not a transmission job but a solenoid so your local repair shop can do it if it is found to be bad. Unplugging it is actually the only way to test, if car still stalls then you have me stumped. Wish you well.