I have a v6 2003 Pontiac Grand am GT. It was getting about 28 MPG and the last 3 months it started smelling of gas at start up and now I am getting 15MPG. Is this common? What might be leaking? It starts fine and runs fine.... just sucks the gas!

Asked by Aug 13, 2014 at 01:55 PM about the 2003 Pontiac Grand Am GT

started smelling of gas at start up and now I am getting 15MPG. Is this common? What
might be leaking?

148,425

Highly recommend you do not drive car before finding and fixing leak. When you can smell raw gasoline there is a very real risk of fire. Could be fuel lines, connections on injector rail, and others

148,425

Oh yeah, NOT common. That car can be replaced, You can't be. If you have ever been near a car fire you would understand how serious this is and why I go out of my way to warn you

It only smells of gas when I first start it up and then after it runs a min the smell stops. Thats why I first thought injectors? I havent drove it for weeks now but would really like to be able to soon

148,425

http://clean.injectorrx.com/leaking-fuel-injectors/ ......have a look at that page. Very well could be injectors

148,425

From time to time you run into a fuel injector that fails. It can fail and start leaking fuel externally, or the electronics can fail and it can stop working. It’s usually pretty easy to find a bad fuel injector if it’s leaking externally, just put your eyes on it. If you see fuel leaking out of it, replace it. Pasted From: http://www.ericthecarguy.com/faq/solving-automotive-performance-issues?start=5

Best Answer
148,425

.