What does it mean when my service vehicle soon light comes on

Asked by Jul 15, 2007 at 09:27 PM about the 1999 Pontiac Grand Am 4 Dr SE1 Sedan

My service vehicle soon light came on right after my oil change and has stayed on every since.  What does it mean?

33,175

It means your on-board computer has detected an issue, usually it comes on before the oil change and goes off after its done. It could be nothing at all. You can take your car to an autozone type place where they can plug it into a computer and run a diagnostic check. It's usually free.

usualy emission related,if you do not have a drivebility issue its emmision related,have your 0bd2 system scaned

355

After an oil change, an small air bubble may form in front of the oil pressure sensor which is usually away from the 'flow' of oil thru a passage. It may fire off the check engine light because of this. You can disconnect your battery cable for 20 minutes or so and then replace it to reset the computer. This will usually work and you will have no further problems. If it occurs again during this oil change, then do consult your dealer, it could me a faulty sensor or excessive debris in the system is plugging up the oil passages. You should flush the engine if that is the problem.

102,815

The SVS light has nothing to do with he engine. It's body related systems. Check that the gas cap is on tight and the headlight bulbs all work. Parts store code readers won't see it. The SES light is engine related and you can gets codes read at many parts stores.

90

My car was working great and then I was in a wreck. The dealership repair place fixed my car. When I cut it on I noticed the "Service Vehicle Soon" light came on. It was never there before. They had to replace the whole right side from hood, lights to side door. It comes on sometimes and then goes away. It just depends what time it wants to appear. What does this mean?