1997 Pontiac Grand Am not hitting 4000 RPM, not accelerating correctly

Asked by Apr 11, 2014 at 08:05 AM about the 1997 Pontiac Grand Am 2 Dr SE Coupe

I have a 1997 Pontiac Grand Am 3.1L engine. Recently As I drive the rpm would drop and
the car lunges and sputters, but only when I accelerate. In order for me to get up to 55 or
so, I have to accelerate very slowly. When the car is idling and I rev my engine, it doesn't
even get up to 4000 rpm, it gets to about 3000 then jumps between 2500 and 3000. It
does this intermittently. Usually when it's damp or humid outside. It feels like it just
doesn't have a lot of power. When I'm driving, and put the pedal to the floor, the whole car
lunges forward like it's about to shift, but it never shifts and the RPM drops. I have no
idea what is going on, so any help would be appreciated.

God Pontiac grand am gt, coup, 154,000 miles laterresearching this issue, we both are suffering. From this I believe it my be transmission related. But I prey that's not the case it seem like the hot could be a factor. Cause when I'm driving consistently. The car starts to shift hard miss rpms. Change gears very odd, jerk and shutter and when I'm going up hill the car slows up to the point where. People are beeping at me or trying to go around, why do I continue driving it, only g form of transportation. And I don't want to hear it's the tranny. The money it will cost Upon research he was said it could be the motor mounts my transmission fluid inserted sits where the air filter is But this is a issue I'm going. Though now my only suggestion is getting the transmission flushed dirt could be don't more damage to it the fluid could be bad preying it don't cost 1500 for a new tranny. Which is more then my estimation.