Ecm fuel pump fuse keeps blowing,switch not on when it blows

10

Asked by Oct 29, 2015 at 07:30 PM about the 1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme 2 Dr S Coupe

How do I go about tracking down the
problem.it has to be the wiring because I
put new fuel pump in.

76,335

If this is just happening since you put in the new fuel pump, it has to be in the area of the plugin for the fuel pump.(short) Re-check the plugin to the fuel pump,

10

No I thought was fuel pump,its bad ground or something,how do I track it.

76,335

You have to just look for grounds, and follow wires until you find something bad. If you had a test light, at the grounds when the circuit is live test by jumpering between the ground connection and to where it was attached, the light should come on.

72,475

Unfortunately you'll have to trace the wiring harness, starting from the fuel pump, going forward until you find the short. You're looking for broken insulation and exposed wire(s). HTH. -Jim

4,465

This is just a shot in the dark, but check the signal light flasher under the dash. Mine was a plastic flasher tightly gripped in a springy metal holder. The plastic got brittle on mine and the holder crushed it. It sort of still worked, but sort of didn't and it caused intermittent power drains that caused all sorts of weird electrical problems with my car. Once I changed the flasher all my electrical problems went away and life was good again.