What is my car worth?

Asked by Aug 30, 2013 at 10:58 PM about the 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT Spyder

I have a 2001 convertible which the tiiming belt just broke. I would assume due to the engine type GT V6 that the valves are bent. It has about 125,000 miles on it and the body is in good shape, the dash is cracked from the sun.. It has a driver side window switch that needs to be replaced and the top leaks some. I have had 3 people drive by and stop and wanting to buy it. Is it worth fixing up or selling it to someone and moving on? I think it might be a collectible, but who wants to wait that long to find out. What is it worth ?

185

500$ and a case of beer

101,385

If you a do it yourself kind of person I would hold on to it. Broke belt and bent valves are not all that hard to fix just take your time. To check for bent valves without a belt on it remove spark plugs and hook an air compressor to spark plug holes. When you turn the air on if you hear the air going into your intake or exhaust you have bent valves. If you only hear the cylinder pressurizing that one could be ok. Keep checking each one. But if you come to one that is gushing air thru it you might as well stop and plan on removing the heads. Now if all sound ok put new timing belt on(correctly) and do a compression test first. Your compression should be 150 psi to 200 psi on all cylinders. If any are real low or 0 then you have bent valves for sure. But it all depends on how much you like the car whether or not to get rid of it. IMO if overall body and top is in good shape it would be worth more to keep it and fix the issues.

655

Like dandyoun says if you can/like working on things, it might be worth your time. Me, I am not so I read, the owners manual and check when the timing belt should be changed. Then I do it 5k before it says. I use Mobil one, but simply won't change it until at least 7,500 miles because that's pretty much the point of it. I check my tire pressure once a week, wash it 3-4 times a week, and detailed three times a year. In other words a DIYer I'm not. I did have a timing belt break on my friends 1997 Mercury Mystique. The really funny part was that it broke at exactly 100,000 miles. No tenths, not 105,000 but 100,000. Engine was a freewheeler so no damage but no one could believe 100,000 on the odo. So, to answer your question, I'd get rid of it.