Cost to replace head gasket

55

Asked by Aug 30, 2013 at 12:27 AM about the 2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT Spyder

I have a 2002 Mitsubishi Spyder Eclipse Gt. I have everything needed to get it done I am wondering what it would cost to have someone do it? My car hasn't overheated yet

241,595

$900-$1400 depending on the shop and location. For this repair, I would get multiple estimates and find a good shop, one that deals with Mitsubishi's as a lot of parts need to be removed to replace the gasket. The cost is all in the labor.

111,015

Why do you need to replace it? Are they blown?

55

I had a few guys that looked under my hood and noticed leaks. I figured it was better to get all replaced now before it is totally gone. I it all including the bolts. Just need someone who knows what they are doing and at a reasonable price

111,015

Ok are you sure they are seeing the head gasket leaking? If it was leaking you would probably have white smoke coming out tail pipe, water in your oil and or oil in your water. You would probably notice major issues with performance.

111,015

Normally when a head gasket starts to leak (blows) you will have major issues with the vehicle. Did it over heat real bad? That's one of the main things that causes a head gasket to blow. If not and if you are not seeing any of the other issues I listed above its probably ok. Would hate to see you throw a lot of money at something that is not bad in the first place. Now valve cover gaskets leaking oil they would be able to see and would not cause any major performance issues. I would advise you to take it to a mechanic and have him look at it first to confirm what is actually leaking.

55

I know few weeks bad they noticed one seal leaking. I do notice it gets hotter faster than normal but hasn't gotten to the point of seeing smoke come out yet. There is at times acceleration performance different. There is a bit radiator fluid leak,,that you do see on ground under car, now could that be a different problem..maybe

111,015

Yes it could be. Sounds more like a water pump issue. Try and see where water is leaking from. Your water pump has a weep hole in it so that when it starts to go bad it will leak to let you know that it is time to replace it. Hate to get you to thinking of other things that it could be its just that when a head gasket blows its not normally just a leak that you notice under the car. Also that cars requires high octane fuel to perform at its peak.

111,015

How many miles is on your car? If at or over 100000 has your timing belt been replaced? If you find that it is your water pump leaking do yourself a favor and replace the timing belt too. It should be replaced before 100000 miles. You will have major issues if it breaks or jumps time. I know I just keep adding things for you to think about but at the age of your car these are things that will need to be addressed in order for it to continue to be a dependable fun car.

6,125

id do the oil pump as well long as your in there but like dandyoun says verify its the head gaskets that are leaking but hey if its time for the timing belt might as well do the head gaskets, don't forget the cost of quality OEM head bolts as that tends to be a little bit of money as well

55

yea I will get all that checked. Now a question I do have as I have never heard, is there really a such thing as a gasket line?

55

I have 141,000 miles on it now. I guess I do not know but still have the number of the couple I bought it from and will re check with them if anything has ever been replaced and when

6,125

I would just do it regardless

I have over 200000 miles om my eclipes 3.0 and blew the head gasket should I replace the head gasket or whole motor

A whole motor COULD theoretically be cheaper, if you get a used one and do it yourself. Otherwise, that could cost a lot more to have the shop do than replacing the head gasket.

Then again you asked that 9 months ago lol I'm guessing you got that fixed or sold the car The reason I'm here is because I know a guy who had a second- gen eclipse and there was a lot wrong with it, including the head gasket. He literally wouldn't sell the thing to me because he purposely slapped it together to sell it to some sucker. Right now, I'm in the midst of checking out this eclipse, no rust, perfect paintjob, but only like 5-6 small problems. I have a budget of about $4000. They want $2500 for the car, and what's wrong with it is tension on the powersteering belt, o2 sensor, A/C, and speedometer sensor. They will fix the speedometer sensor, and when I buy the car it will probs need new tires & brakes + an oil change. I wouldn't fix the A/C. I'm just wondering, since it's a 1995, if you people think there might be more wrong with it than they claim? I'm going to test drive it soon...