Engine isn't getting fuel

Asked by Sep 30, 2012 at 07:39 PM about the 1997 Mercury Grand Marquis 4 Dr LS Sedan

1997 Mercury Grand Marquis LS wont
get fuel.  What cancause this problem

6,685

A few things! Did this just start happening or has it been a gradual development (the motor would start stalling, not wanting to go under heavy acceleration)? First thing you want to do is check the fuse. Maybe the fuse went. You can locate the fuse in your Merc's owners guide. It probably isn't in your fuse under the steering wheel -- Mine is the engine compartment power distribution fuse box and it is a square off-white color. If that is good, check the relay in the interior fuse box right behind the kick-panel. It is the one all the way to the back -- Relay one. Check that relay. If both those pass your inspection, now you want to see if the fuel pump is working. Turn the ignition to the 'on' position but do not crank it so the engine starts -- Just allow all your dash gauges to turn on. Make sure the door is open and keep your head out the door to listen to the rear of the car where the fuel tank is located. If you hear a high pitched electric noise that turns off after about 3-4 seconds, that is good! It means your fuel pump is working fine. It can be is an old fuel filter that is clogged. That is a relatively cheap and easy thing to do. It could also be a clogged or broken line. One more thing... Did it happen after the car stopped rapidly or accelerated rapidly? Ford made a feature that would turn the fuel pump off if the car detected rapid acceleration or deceleration (So fuel wouldn't reach the engine and find ignition in case of a crash). Luckily there is a reset button if this is the case located in the trunk. Luckily, the fuel system isn't terribly expensive to work on or fix.

530

I could really use some help in that subject.ok my car has worked properly ever since I bought it and then not starting it for 2 month it wont get fuel everthing sounds good it has strong power and it cranks real good. It will even fire up for a sec then just put put and die... im sure its simple just show me some direction! !

560

anyone know why I have no power to fuel pump relay when the key is turned on? The relay does not energize when key is ON and dash lights are lit.

140

I have a question about a 1999 Mercury grand marquis. My starter went out so I purchased a new one and the car started up fine. I went out to start it the next morning and it wouldn't start I have no idea what to do plz help

Possible crank sensor

Had the same problem. Unhook your battery for at least 30 minutes. Hook up battery again, and try to start. The computer had received a code that prevented the car from starting. We initially unhooked the battery for 15 minutes, which was not long enough to drain all the power from the computer.