1997 Lincoln Town Car Limousine starting problem

15

Asked by Apr 10, 2015 at 11:51 AM about the 1997 Lincoln Town Car Signature

I have a 1997 Lincoln Town Car Limousine. I was working fine but has been sat for
about a year.
I had booked it in for MOT in UK so i can use it. I jumped started the car using my
BMW and left the jump leads connected. the Limo ran for half hour, to operating
temperature so i checked the fluids and turned it off.
I later jump started it again and it started ok, but then suddenly cut out. It cranked but
would not start.
I assumed it needed fuel as it was low.
I put this in and it would not start. I cranked it several times with the BMW as a jump.
then all the power went off. Today i realised it was like a little cylinder thing that had
blew but if i bypass it i can get the ignition lights.

The car now lights up but does not start, if i spray damp start or easy start in the
engine it does fire. so it is not getting fuel.

But it was running fine before and just stopped ? please help !

56,855

Turn on the ignition but don't try to start it. Can you hear the fuel pump run for 3 to 5 seconds? If not, some Ford products had a fuel pump inertia switch in the trunk that would shut down the fuel pump in the event of a collision. They were sometimes troublesome. If you don't have one, check for power at the fuel pump relay. If you have power there, replace the relay, they're cheap. If it still won't run I'd suspect the fuel pump quit. One last possibility, when you parked it the gas tank was not full so there's a very good possibility there's water condensation in the gas and in the tank. Put some Drygas in the tank to absorb the water and once you get it running fill up the tank with premium. If you need to park it again for an extended time period fill up the tank with premium and disconnect the negative (-) battery cable when you park it. HTH. -Jim

15

i have replaced the Fuel relay and checked power to the fuel pump. I seem to have 1 live but when checking the inirtia switch there is no live to that. Some one said its the EEC relay? but i can not see it on the diagrams for a 1998 Lincoln Town Car. Any help please as this is getting upsetting as it was working fine.