1997 Lincoln Town car

Asked by Mar 12, 2016 at 01:52 PM about the 1997 Lincoln Town Car Executive

I have 97 Lincoln Town car it will drive any where in
reverse but when u put in drive it won't go any
where I am a single mother of three and can not
afford to put it in shop need to know the part to
buy at the store

Unfortunately I believe a shop is where you are going to wind up at, you can try pulling the codes to see if there are any transmission codes for say like the solenoid pack or a wiring problem, but a Lincoln that old I would not be surprised to find the tranny has went bye bye. Try pulling the tranny dipstick and look and smell the fluid, if it is dark and smells burnt then the tranny needs major work, but if the fluid is bright red and full then a solenoid pack would be the next step. but you are going to know how to do the job right cause 1 piece of dirt and your all through, tranny is toast.

It's acts like it wants to go it just won't go very fast it's like watching a very slow movie lol

a vehicle of mine did the same, except it wouldn't go into reverse without adding transmission fluid. after changing the transmission filter(easy to do, but 20 bolts) and putting on a new trans gasket it ran fine for for another 12 years until i sold it. wish i didn't sell it.

ever notice why transmission repair chains aren't really around anymore, but service shops may still try to have you rebuild your trans? they'll tell you that you have broken bands when what you actually have is a lack of trans oil pressure. i.e. a loose pan bolt, water in the trans filter, or a bad leaking pan gasket.