Why is my Jeep overheating

Asked by Jan 15, 2017 at 12:50 AM about the 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD

For the past two weeks my radiator has been moving towards hot. Yesterday, I went about 15-20 miles and then my car went hot and started steaming out with smoke. I stopped at a local Wal-Mart and purchasing antifreeze. Not knowing too much about cars, I put the antifreeze in the reserve because I didn't know that I could put it in the actual radiator. Went about 1/2 a mile and it went hot again. I got help from my girlfriend's step father and he had informed me that I needed to wait until it was cool enough to put some antifreeze in the actual radiator. It went to the middle and teetered just a little bit in between. I decided that I wanted to go ahead and still get it checked out. I had my mom call a guy that she knew that fixed cars because I had to go to work. So, I was informed that he needed to replace my radiator and that would resolve the issue. When I got my car it worked fine, and was still teetering in the middle a little bit. I had to stop at the store before I got home. Once I parked the car, I noticed that from the left side there was fluid leaking, I didn't think anything of it because they said that they had mixed the radiator fluid with antifreeze and water. I came home, then, about 4 hours later, I went to get something to eat, before I got in the car I did notice that there was fluid on the ground again. I noticed that the temperature was going hot again, it wasn't at the hot sign, but it was getting dangerously close. Going home from getting some food it was still going to the hot, it got close, then backed off. Then, by the time I got home, it went hot. I noticed that it was still leaking fluid from the left side. Does anybody know what may be causing the problem. I don't have a lot of money and I cannot keep doing this.

98,345

Sounds like they might have missed something like a loose hose clamp when replacing the radiator, top it back off before drive no it and take it back.

Best Answer