Jeep power steering

Asked by Jul 04, 2017 at 09:25 PM about the 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD

While driving my 2002 Jeep GC 4x4 , I Cut it hard
left to park and I was told power steering fluid
squirted out after I had cut the wheel hard ?

98,365

Could it have been overfill? Has the system ever been flushed and refilled, old fluid can overheat and will boil out the vent.

yes it has had some power steering refilled into it. Could cutting the wheel hard have mad fluid squirted out the vent ?

98,365

If it got too hot then yes. If the fluid is dark I would have it flushed and refilled with the latest fluid, some of the newer fluids have a very high boiling point so that won't happen again. I don't know if you ever noticed but some of the older rigs actually had a power steering cooler, some were just extra tubing held in place inside a frame rail while others were a little radiator mounted right along side the power steering pump. But these newer fluids have made those obsolete.

Thanks, How do I know if it got to hot ?

It was hot out yesterday and the engine temp was about 210

98,365

You just have to go by the symptoms, and blowing out is one of them, and 210 is a touch on the hot side, my GC never ran hotter than 200 even with the A/C on, might want to check that out, look for dirt and bugs restricting the air flow through the front and if it's never been changed replace the thermostat with a fail safe unit.

Thanks, would u happen to know how much power steering fluid I would need to buy? Can't seem to find a fluid capacity spec for ps anywhere

Also I checked the ps steering just now and engine was cold also, but the power steering fluid was filled well past the cold mark could the have been the reason for the fluid being squirted ? not sure if the picture is good enough to see cold mark srry

98,365

I had a jeep so I know where the cold mark is and yes if it was overfilled there was no room for fluid expansion so it went out the vent and made a mess. From the pic it appears that the fluid is not too dark, so pull out just enough fluid to take it down to the cold mark and call it good. You shouldn't have any more trouble.

Thank you, I also have a small whining noise could that be from the overrfill

98,365

They do have a slight whine normally, if it's not very loud don't worry about it, when they vent fluid sometimes it gets air bubbles in the fluid and they will cause a louder whine but it will slowly dissipate as the air is slowly bleed off.

It's not very loud just increases in sound alittle as the wheel is turned

98,365

Ok I would say that it is normal, mine made a slight whine and it did increase when turned, it was that way when I bought it and it was that way at 148K when I sold it.

Very helpful thank you.

98,365

Have a fine one out there.

You said you had a GC right? Would u happen to know how much power steering fluid it needs, would 32oz of ps fluid be enough.

98,365

That should work for a good flush job. If I remember right mine used right at 28oz. Before the new replaced the old in the return pipe.

98,365

But at that time I had my shop and was working there so my machine did most the work.

I was just gonna suck all the old fluid out the reservoir. The replace it with new fluid. So 32oz should be enough for that right ?

Also i read the some whine could be air in the system how do I bleed the ps system, is it possible without jacking the car up ?

98,365

If you going to do it that way you will need more than that cause your mixing new with old fluid, you need to pull off the return tube and put the open end in a bucket and then plug the open oort on the pump, fill the pump with fluid and start the engine and keep pouring fluid into the pump until it is flowing clean fluid into the bucket, then shut down and reassemble the return, top off the fluid and restart then recheck fluid level to off again if needed. As far as air in the system, if it doesn't run dry the air will bleed out on its own with a little time, there is no bleeder valve.

Thanks once again, it's appreciated

98,365

No problem. I hope you enjoy your Jeep.

So, turns out I found out the Jeep has wrong power steering fluid in it, could that be causing the whine?

98,365

Uh oh now you have to flush it and make sure you get the right fluid, MS5931 the part number is 04883077 at your local Jeep dealer. Use this and only this fluid, do not mix fluids. And yes it can cause a whine among other steering problems.

That's what I thought , (I recently bought the Jeep), so I have been trying to fix up some stuff .

Also Valvoline makes a power steering that meets Chrysler ms5931 should work right

98,365

As long as it meets or exceeds it will be fine, if you recently bought it I suggest you service the transmission and the transfer case and both differentials unless you have proof they have been serviced recently. Also keep a watch on the power steering pulley, they tend to start cracking and then break so it pitches the belt and you loose all the accessories so no cooling or charging. I went through 2 in 148K miles.

How long does it take to to the ps steering flush your anwsering the questions appreciated

98,365

If you have everything you need it takes about 45 minutes from start to finish.

Is it possible to just unhook the power steering hose and let all the fluid run out ?

98,365

It won't all run out, there will still be fluid in the steering gear and return line. It will take pressure or a good vacuum supply too get it all out.

98,365

Flushing is your best course of action, plus it minimizes any air that you might get in the system.