I was looking into buying a used Audi, would I have a hard time getting it repaired if it needed it? Also what's the basic 'repair' or 'maintenance' at 100,000 miles. Thanks

5

Asked by Sep 25, 2007 at 11:51 AM about the 1999 Audi A4 1.8T Sedan FWD

I want to buy an Audi, I have 2 picked out, 1999 and 1998, A4, turbo, they both are in the 100,000 miles area, Auto trans, nothing after market. I've been told not to buy an Audi... I was wondering what I would be looking at for repairs, maintenance, COST... How much I would be putting into this car if something simple broke. How much are oil changes? do they have to be at an Audi dealer, my dad does mine now and I dont want to have to start paying for them at an expensive dealer. I was just wondering if a Honda or Toyota would be a better option for a college student. Thanks

15,135

Hi cowgirlgt36, If you're attending college and vehicle expenses are not at the top of your list I would opt for something more economical and certainly less expensive to fix. Most foreign vehicles are more expensive to repair when something breaks. However, on average they do usually last longer and have fewer overall repairs (depending on driving habits). If you were my daughter and I was helping you find your next vehicle - something easy on the pocketbook - I would certainly steer you toward a Honda, Toyota or Nissan. These vehicles will last several years and usually have fewer repairs than a domestic vehicle (Chevy, Ford, Dodge, etc). Hope this helps!

5,265

I personally hate all Toyotas and own a VW (owns Audi). I am also a full time college student, but make considerably more than your average student. I own a Ford Contour SVT and a VW Jetta. I have owned the Jetta for 1.5 years and have had almost nothing but problems with it. I have been lucky since most of my troubles have been covered by the last remaining bit of my powertrain warranty, but I have had about $350 of out of pocket expenses to deal with along with the simple fact that I have to take it in to get it checked out every time the MIL light goes off with only just over 60,000 on the 4 year old car. The AMERICAN FORD has actually given me no trouble at all and is twice as old. In short, the Audi would be a nice car, and you might get lucky and not have any problems, but on the other hand you might be like me. They have very nice fit and finish inside and out. Audis and VWs are kind of hit or miss. I know people that have owned them and never had problems, and then I know people like myself who have had nothing but problems. Honestly, if it were me, I would look for a really nice Civic or Accord. It will last and hold its value. Your overall cost of ownership won't be much more than gas, oil changes, registration, and insurance (which actually might be quite high because they are the most stolen car in America). Oh, and the oil changes- the same price as any other car. About $15-$35 depending on where you take it, and no, it doesn't have to be at the dealership.

215

Most Auto Repair shops in this day and age cover import and domestic repairs. There are just too many foreign cars out there to try and focus on only domestics. Any shop can do standard auto repairs to any German import. That has not always been the case, but it is now in the USA.

425

Maintenance costs shoudn't be too bad. But it depends on the condition of the car. With 100k mi you should look for one that's had its timing belt and water pump replaced. (usually something done at the 65k mi mark). Parts for audi are pretty inexpensive as most of them are VW parts and vice versa. Usually it's labor costs at a garage that'll kill you. Remember, it's a luxury car, so it has to cost like a luxury car somewhere. Oil is pretty easy, make sure you're running full synthetic and changing it at regular intervals. It DOES NOT have to be from a dealer. Also something to keep in mind is that your Audi will probably require premium gas. That gives it better gas mileage, but can hurt the motor if you don't use it all the time.

235

Do not buy an Audi older than an 05!! I have a 98 turbo, I paid 6200 for it and have put at least that into repairs! The headlights just decided not to work one day, that was 130 just for a new switch, the bolt that holds the timing belt on broke and it needed a whole new cylinder head, which was 5,000 and I got lucky with that one. they said if it would have bent any of the rods it would have needed a whole new engine.. which are 8 grand. Oh, and yes the oil changes are more expensive! I go to valvoline and its about 60 bucks for synthetic (which you need) they have a charge JUST because its Audi. and if you do it yourself and don't have a lift you can forget about getting the oil filter off. you have to take the coolant reservoir off just to get at it. If the cars you are looking at haven't had the timing belt changed yet, thats the first thing that needs to be done. its about a 700 dollar job. Definitely go with toyota, or honda, they will last you much longer and be MUCH less to fix. Thats my opinion, if you really want an Audi wait until you are out of college and can afford a much newer one :)

115

I have a 2000 A4 1.8T As I know for all parts, Audi uses the same parts that regardless you are using a A4, A6 or A8.... Audi is smart and they share the same parts.... so no worry. Cost is still cheap compare to other german made cars.

3,265

wow who would of thought that a VW owner hates toyota you guys are all the same lol im surprised you like honda though. Audi and VW are horrible cars they cost way to much to maintain and most of them have at least two thing wrong with either the motor or trans. In my opinion stay far far away from german cars if you are looking at cost issues in the future. Go for a honda,toyota,nissan.

325

I would do some research on that check out how much more it is to repair an S4 to an A4, EXPENSIVE...I learned my lesson.

165

Don't listen to all the bad things people say about euro cars. Bring it to a reputable mechanic and have it checked over before buying. Small things will go wrong every so often but that’s nothing out of the ordinary for any vehicle. Nothing has to be done at the dealer; everything can be done yourself if you have confidence. Oil changes are the same as any car except the filter is located below the coolant reservoir.

20

S-4's with 70 - 90K are ticking time bombs - stay away!