2002 Audi A4 Quattro

15

Asked by Apr 26, 2015 at 11:16 PM about the 2002 Audi A4 3.0 quattro Sedan AWD

started having problems with turn the car on, sometimes it will try to start as I turn the key but nothing. and theres times where I have no problem at all.I do have a check engine light on and the reader say it has something to do with "system cooling engine malfunction " .. one more thing , at stop lights the rpm will rev up and down at a low rev tho.. any ideas .. ??????

12,105

What is the code reading ? if it has something to do with the cooling it can possibly be related if something on the head is either broken or no longer properly sealed. Get out run your car then pull out the plugs Check them all for dampness and smells. Also probe your cyclinders for any sorts of build up or liquids with a plastic stick. As for the starting issue This can be related to either a dirty sensor in the air intake system or the cable on your starter is rotting off. Its very common in the older models since the cable between the points and solenoid is exposed to the elements. Crawl under the car after putting it on ramps and check the cables on the starter. *bring a flashlight* the start will be where the trany meets the engine just behind the alternator.

15

if it had a crack head gasket I would be heating up and also white guke when I take the oil cap off... right?? ill have to get that engine checked again at oriellys.. the funny thing is it might just be a engine cooling thermostat (ECT) .. umm well hope fully its not critical..

12,105

A sure fire way to figure out if you car is getting antifreeze in the engine oil is smell it if it smells like pee it most likely has it mixed into the oil. the thing that will help the most is get your car scanned from a vw/audi specialist shop and you can get the problem figured out much faster this way. And also i can say from experiance that if your head gasket goes and it leaks on the out side of the car while the engine is running it smells like burning plastic once the engine heats up.

15

nothing like that is happening thank god but I did manage to get the code:p1296 Malfunction in coolant system..

12,105

Ok well i would follow this link im providing it is about hte same issue. its most likely a bad sensor at this point which can also cause the issue. http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4709758-engine-code-p1296

15

alright I appreciate this a lot.. hey just for wonders.. what type of intake would be good to place in my car.. ??

12,105

cold air intake k&n is the most commonly installed in these cars. You can take out the entire breather, and install a kit cylinder one. Google search and you can see what most people have done with there cars. I personally just got an cold air intake insert for my box as they are also available

15

u got pictures of your ride.

15

What are things topics I should aware of in my class of audis

12,105

well some of the things you want to keep up with is your timing belt. It requries service every 90,000 km if you miss this window you may end up with a giant paper weight of a car. other things usually are just general maintenance. Like check your air ways and vacum lines as well as the evac lines that go t othe back of the car on regular maintence days *aka oil change day*

15

well ive been searching for videos and just plain information on where and how these jobs are done.. I really want the knowledge to be mine to know instead of taking it to the shop and having to wait .. u get me..

12,105

well then do yourself a favor and get the hanes or bently repair manuel to the car and then you wil know every dirty detail of your car.

15

dude true true.. wow its like I have al these ideas when I don't have the car , but then when I do get a car I am blinded by everything.. jeez.. thanks