I put my truck into drive or reverse n it will not move at all what is causeing this to happen

1,670

Asked by Jan 27, 2014 at 01:04 PM about the 2003 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 4WD Extended Cab LB

10,955

Have you checked the fluid level in the tranny. If there is none on the dipstick fill to the cold mark. If there is we've got bigger issues.

1,670

All the fluids are right where there should be

10,955

K. Now lets start simple. When you move the shifter can you feel the regular amount of resistance, can you feel the gears. If not the cable is broken or disconnected from the tranny.

10,955

If the cable is good we need to check line flow/pressure.

1,670

I shift it and it don't feel like it's restring that's it's beening taking outa park because when I put it into drive or reverse n push the gas all it does is reave up the rpms n the it's sits in one spot

1,670

It was driving and shifting great 4 days ago and it was the last time I drove it and where I live it's been below - degrees out n it's been parked n the same spot n I havnt moved it now it won't move at all

10,955

Just get someone to shift it while you watch the cable on the drivers side of the tranny. You should see the cable rotate the shifter. If it ran good, you parked it, it got f'in cold and now it doesn't work maybe you have some water in the system, a line may be frozen (never heard of this though). On the passenger side of the tranny there are the two coolant lines. The top port is the coolant return bottom is the tranny output. Follow them up to the rad or external tranny cooler. Crack the return line at the tranny or after the last cooler (I do the one on the tranny because I can disconnect the line completely and slip a hose on the end to limit the mess and I have access to a heated shop). If you can't run a hose to a pail get a small bucket or container and get someone to start and run the truck briefly with the fitting cracked but not disconnected. You should see fluid coming out. If you don't the lines, cooler, pump or pick-up from the tranny pan may be plugged or frozen.

1,670

Well it's way to cold for me to get outside n under the truck to check it I know I still have to replace the 4wheel drive actuator and there mite be water in there due to the fact that I have sunked my truck muddin this last summer

1,670

I have had my training fished out two days after I sunked it bc it took me two days to get it to start again

10,955

If it is water it's going to be a pain. Do you have access to a heated shop for a while? Or is your weather going to improve. You'll need to heat the tranny pan for sure and maybe the lines and cooler to get it to move. Drag would be the fastest. Rent a large tarp and a hermon nelson type heater (works good 2 to 3 hrs at -30 and you should be moving). Then let drain the atf and refill.

10,955

Sorry typing while you typed. Did they do a full flush or just dropped the pan. I'd crack the return line and check for flow before we get any deeper. I wouldn't run the 4L60e to long without fluid flowing.

1,670

I don't have access to a heated shop I fixed my own n don't have money to have it towed to a shop right now n it's ganna get colder the next few days

1,670

Its fine they did a full flush bebecause I told the shop about my lil fun in the mud

10,955

Crappy. Hope they got it all out and that it's something simple like the filter falling out of the suction port???

1,670

They flush it drives it around the parking lot n flushed it again so I'm sure there's no water left in the grainy but my truck only does this when it's below -degrees out

8,175

Do you have electronic shift, or manual shift 4x4? If it's manual shift on the floor, make sure the shifter isn't in neutral. You might have bumped it when you got out last.

10,955

Go one Goodwrench707. I might of been attacking the tranny for personal reasons. When you said it would rev up before but wouldn't move, did it sound like the engine was under load or did it rev freely. Did you drain the T-case after you flooded it. It has it own oil supply. If your engine is loaded it may be frozen? Place to look.

8,175

yetilikesbeer is correct. If you got water in the thing, it's a problem. Also, even an electronic transfer case can be in neutral, but I doubt you put it there. You would have to push the 2HI and 4LOW buttons at the same time, and hold them there til the red NEUTRAL light came on, if it's electronic shift.

8,175

You might try to shift the transfer case, after warming up the vehicle for a good amount of time. If it moves, get it to a warm place and change the x-fer case fluid, as soon as possible.

10,955

Check for tranny fluid flow/pressure before funning it to long. There is enough NFG 4L60-e's out there, hate to add another one. Unless the POS shifter module motor is failing/malfunctioning. My friends '99 tried to drop into low on the highway a few times. Good thing it never made it through N.

1,670

My truck has the four wheel drive shifter on the floor n I've already checked that it's gotta be something frozen bc I don't feel the trainmission shifting into greats like it should my truck has always kicked when I put itinto driver or revers

1,670

This is how dept I had it sunked in muddy water

8,175

WOW! Not good. Might be a bit of water/ice in the transfer case. I would also check the front and rear differentials, they have breather tubes/hoses, but you never know if water got passed the seals on the axles. Try putting the transmission in low 1 or low 2, and see if it will move.

10,955

Yeah thats deep. You need to save up and get a toy, leave the "good" truck out of shituations like this.

1,670

The low grears won't make it move the day I parked it it was at a shop getting eveething checked out and they said everything looked good so idk y the truck won't move I plain on putting a 6" lift kit on it with 35" mudders tires on it it's just bothers me the most that a shop told me eveething looked fine the same day I parked it

1,670

N 3-4 days since I drove it and I go to drive it today n it won't move at all but I can put it unto nutrul push the truck my self n it will move but won't in any gears I put it in

1,670

And this weather here makes it hard to check it out if I could even try

10,955

Yah I hear yah. If you can push it the t-case is good and we're back to the tranny.

1,670

Alright well normally I can feel my truck shift into drive or reavers but it's not but soons u put it into revers or drive or 1or 2 all it does is the rmp run up to around 2 rmp with out pushing gas peatl and when u do push gas nothing acts like it's in park or nutrule n sorry about my spelling it sucks I can't spell good but I can sure fix anything if I know the answers and where to start

10,955

Once you check for tranny fluid flow on the return line we can start narrowing down the search.

1,670

Well I hope it's wearm engoth tomorrow to check it out

1,670

It makes a buzzing humming noise when I first start it up but goes away after it wearms up but it still won't move

1,670

Well the flow of the triny is fine but still not wanting to move

10,955

Ok. So you cracked on the return line. It should naturally drain. If the flow/pressure increased when the truck started that means that you are sucking fluid from the pan therefore the pump is working. That means that the problem is most likely in the valve body. When it warms up there is a 1/4" npt tap on the drivers side that you can tie a cheap gauge into to see you line pressure. Here is a pic of the port on the older bell housing, it will be in the same spot. I recommend a hose?? So you don't have to be under there while testing. There are charts online for target pressures at certain rpms in certain gears. Low pressure would indicate the pressure regulator or weak pump. High pressure would indicate issues in the valve body.

1,670

So I have found the problem the shifter cabile for the trainmisson is not moving when shifting is there anything that I can use to unfrozes the cable

10,955

This is a pain to do buy yourself. In the one comment you hinted that this happened before?? And that it only happens when it's really cold out we could try a temp fix??

10,955

OOHHH does the shifter on the column move? I believe the column pulls the cable. If the column moves and the tranny selector/cable on the side do not rotate the cable is broken or the mounts securing the cable jacket are broken

10,955

Well at least your tranny is fine for now (the 35's with test it to it's limit). The hard part of working on the cable is digging under the dash. I've been lucky enough to never have one fail. Knock on wood!!

1,670

The shift moves on the column but when I was under my truck the cabil movie a lil but not enough to take outa park

1,670

Right well I hope it's ganna be a easy fix bc I don't want to be laying on the cold ground for to long

10,955

With the truck turned off and e-brake on or wheel blocked you can see of you can turn the selector by hand or with a small screwdriver. This should allow you to check the mounts. Unbolt the end of the cable from the tranny selector. You shouldn't be able to pull the cable out by hand (in park) If you can it is broken internally.

10,955

The work under the truck is easy. It's the fishing and re-connecting in the dash that sucks.

1,670

So when I put the truck in grear it tunings high in rmp n there's a clicking noise what make it do that

10,955

?? You have to describe it. Is it coming from the tranny? Can you drive the truck now?

1,670

It's comming from under the truck n still can't drive it won't move

1,670

Well since it was really nice out today I tryed my truck again and it moves so I'm ganna guess that there's still water in the lines somewhere and froze up and today was wearm enough to get the truck to move

8,175

Good to hear you got it going.

10,955

Yeah. I'd be flushing the fluid from the tranny. and checking the transfer case and the diff's.

8,175

That's a good idea.

100

My truck goes into reverse but it doesn't go into drive. Any ideas?

20

Hi guys, I'm kinda going off topic here. But I have a 1970 Cadillac. Had an issue over the weekend I need help on. On the column shifter when I place her in drive I here a loud break sound. And she's not in drive she's in between drive and low gear. When I place it where she needs to be directly on the D she barely moves. I give her gas and she doesn't move. Now I have to move it past the D drive and that's where I hear the loud pop inside the column like a snap then she'll move while in between D and low gear... but spuders. Is this something inside the column and shifter it self?. Or is it a tranny issue. Thanks Gary.

130

My truck won't goes reverse and drive even my truck still running while won't move,I mean it moves but won't change gear,fluids good

110

I have a 2002 Mercury Stabler Car starts up fine but will not move

100

I have a 1995 gmc 1500 automatic when I put it in reverse it feels like it's sliping but then it goes what do you think it might be

70

Mine is a question. I have a 2004 chevy tahoe 4x4. I was driving down the road about 55 up a slight hill then I hear a pop and my tahoe stops pulling and no reverse either it just revs up. I have also noticed 2 days before my push button 4x4 indicator automatically went to the red and out of 2wd. I pressed auto 4x4 and it flashed a few times and then back to 2wd. After it would not pull anymore I put it in park and I could hear a loud whinning noise from under the tahoe I am so puzzled. Any answers on why it will not pull now. This is my one and only vehicle so fast replies are needed. Thanks so much.

10,955

@Billy, @Brian @Sourfish, @Timothy, @1970Cad, @Devin_Singer. Just an FYI. The older questions do not get sent out to the Gurus, the only way to find them is to do an internet search or go back days on the question page. If you post your new question to an existing post only the poster and the people that have replied get you question. Please start your own question if you require an answer, that way all people that have knowledge in that category will receive a notification and can try to help you guys.

10,955

@Billy. You may be having issues with line pressure, reverse requires the most line pressure. This may be a sign that your pump is failing. The '95 half ton has the 4L60e and is not the best tranny. If you have some DIY skills you can test the pressure for $50 if you have a trusting friend, LOL, or $150 if you are by your self. There is a 1/4" npt test port on the side of the tranny. With help block the wheels and set the e-brake, purchase a 0 to 300 psi 1/4" npt pressure gauge and install it in the port. Start the truck and test the pressures in P,R,N,D while loading the engine but not moving (slight RPM). If you cannot get help the safer method is to by a 1/4" hydraulic hose to move the gauge out from under the truck so you can see it from the drivers seat. I will find you a pic of the port and a link to the test procedure with expected pressure readings if I can find them

10,955

@Brian. It makes noise even when you put it back into park. Or only when you have the tranny in gear and are trying to move.

30

I got a 1990 Chevy driers an when it's cold it makes a whinning noise when I'm driving for 5mi urea it stop why its whinning

20

Hi my car stopped on me last night my transmission has fluid I have oil and water plus got a tune IP yesterday day . my car wantvgo forward or back but I can hear it go I gears please tell me what can be wrong

120

Hey men my truck is a 2008 Chevy silverado and it won't move on drive or reverse or can't even push the truck on neutral can somebody plz help me what are y'all opinions

Hi I have a manual 2000 Chevy silverado single cab and it will not go into drive or reverse I was in first gear and had to floor it So the person behind me didn't hit me and I heard a pop noise and then I could put The shifter Into first, second, third, fourth and fifth and reverse without putting the clutch down need help.

30

Will the super car smart chick above mind talking with me ? I know I'm a stranger to you but........I really think if I could just figure out what you are talking about I could fix my truck. I too , did not drive for like 2 days and than my bf took it to a probation class and checked the mail on his way home but it quite moving when leaving the post office but did NOT loose power. my engine runs great but it still ain't doing shit but sitting there. I live in BFE CHRISTMAS VALLEY so his trip from home to probation, mail,and home again is maybe a total of five miles

30

My 98 blazer went into neutral this morning while driving. Now it feels like it won't come out no matter what gear I put it in. When I put it in drive reverse or 1st 2nd or 3rd it just revs up. Any idea what that could be? Did my transmission go out?

40

Leoniajoy about a day ago Transmission Last weekend I took my truck ,2003 Chevy Silverado 4x4 out mudding, it was running great had a blast, went to the car wash and washed it and on the way home it started cutting out real bad, I put has treatment in it thinking it may have gotten water in the fuel and my gas millage was like 7mpg. I changed the fuel filter and it was horrible, it seemed to be running a little better, then last night we were out riding and going maybe 15 mph and it jUst quit moving, the transmIssion fluid levels are perfect and there was no oil or anytHing anywhere, I tried all the gears and even tried four wheel drive and it still won't go, the rpm well go up when you rev the enGine but it won't go anywhere, this is my only veHicle and I'm a single mom so any advice would be greatly appreciated

110

my 1992 chevy 1500 wont move when I put it into gear it wont go in any gear put new trans filter and fluid in checked pressure line from trans to cooler have nothing when I drove it I was going about 65 and it just started reving up no gears???

40

Hello everyone , i goth a gmc sierra 1996 4x4 with 75 000 km. I have a problem about my gear when i shifted with it. When i put the gear on (regular) the trunk going in front like the gear (Drive)... If i put the gear in (reverse) i goth nothing... If i push some gas when im in (reverse) the motor sounds like overload .. Do you think is the cable ? Or the tranny ?

20

Ok i have a 1995 chevy tahoe LS 5.7 4x4 floor shift. My problem is will start the truck put it in drive and accelerate then it will act as if it goes in neutral while in drive and just rev up rpms. Ill have to shift from 2 wheel drive to 4 wheel then back to 2 wheel and shift back to drive and it will catch until i accelerate sometimes not even 6 feet and it does it over again. Can someone help me wrap my head around this?

20

Have a2005 Chevy Silverado z71 husband passed away a month later I replaced the transmission didn't drive for 2yrs now it doesn't want to go when u put it in drive but will go in 2nd gear help please

10

Aye I have a 1989 6.2 liter diesel Suburban and it will crank but when I put it in to reverse drive 2 or 1 it doesn't do nothing at all ill hit the gas and all it does is reave up the rpm can u help me I have no idea

20

iam working on a 2002 gmc 1500 z71 5.3 with a 4l60e and the truck will not go in to drive but i have revers and 1 2 3 and park i checked for oil and its good so pleas help me

20

So my truck goes forward in1st and 2 gear and in reverse but does not work in drive 3rd and drive, and the transmission fluid is full. After I get going about 30mph I can shift it up into drive and I'm fine but I can not take off in drive it just sit there and does nothing

My van 95 Mazda MPV 6 cylinder 3 0 was running fine the while diving about 20 it felt like sthing broke under car then car was still running but wouldn't move in any gear help

What cause your transmission go in drive 2 & 1 but won't drive 3 and 4

I have a 96 chevy c1500 with a 2wd 4l60e. I rebuilt the transmission (first time) and put it back in and now it wont go in gear. The cable shifts but transmission does not.

Same exact situation. Did not flood it. Husband or ex took off the throttle body bc if what a mechanic told us but I cleaned it and put it on with the two or three appropriate tubes that fit on to it. Freed up the fuel pump bc that was the problem. It was stuck so I hit the gas tank a few hard times and Bam. Working like a champ. But won't move now. Did he disconnect something I didn't think to reconnect or didn't know about!? BTW....the transmission fluid was bone dry. But I filled it now and still nothing. Rpms jumps to 1 when I shift into drive and reverse but you don't feel the pull from the gear shifting and it makes the funny noise going back into park as well. Please help yeti!!