how much will it cost to replace a torque converter

10

Asked by Jun 01, 2015 at 11:20 PM about the 1991 Ford Tempo 4 Dr GL Sedan

This was answer to check pressure of
transmission. Inspection of out line
form trainsmission to inline to
radiator slightly crimped..

77,855

So did the crimped line burn out the transmission due to no cooling, or have you got that far yet?

645

Hello, To actually answer your question: Converter 140.00 Labor 600.00 And finding someone to do that without getting anything done to the tranny would not be wise... Hope this Helps, AskTrannyMan

Best Answer
10

The crimped line did allow fluid to radiator and did not drivef far.When I put in gear idle increases as if vacuum component is needed to complete the engaging of gear in. The same as when I first started..First time I blew out the radiator not able to get any gears I replaced radiator drained over filled transmission and some leaked.using Lucas transmission conditioning fluid worked and it stooped.When I shut car off not able to engage and gears.I was thinking if I drain fluid again and use Lucas treatment again just like before it will work. If it does what could it be that needs to be replaced?

77,855

The idle increase is normal, the ECM is getting the signal that it is in gear so it automatically bumps up the idle to compensate for the load, but in your case the load is nonexistent. Still sounds like the tranny is bad to me.

645

Hello, Indeed, what you describe is the Lucas stuff softening the seal in forward clutch drum...works for a bit, but the clutches are already toast. That transmission is cheap in the boneyard IF there are any left... Temp/Topaz/later Escort is the tranny you need...that's why I suggested that is would not be wise to replace parts without tranny work...and I even doubt the converter is bad. With that said, I know your problem...you are dealing with an 800 car by book value, and its hard to cough up 1 to 1 and 1/2 grand for some tranny work... Good luck, AskTrannyMan

Best Answer