Is it safe to run a full synthetic oil in my 1987 ford tempo?

25

Asked by May 06, 2015 at 08:43 PM about the 1987 Ford Tempo GL

Hello i just purchased a 1987 ford tempo at an estate auction 2 weeks ago.  The car sat in
a barn for several years before the auction but i got it running (new fuel pump and
injector.)  according to the oil change sticker it is running northland 5w-30 but i was
curious if it would be ok to change to a synthetic oil like AMS-OIL.   Thanks!

45,755

There's quite an opinion on that. Some will say it's fine, others will say no way. I won't try and sway your opinion. Just get online and type in "synthetic oil VS conventional oil" and make your own judgment call.

113,525

On that old of a vehicle I would just stick with convential. But it is your car so it is really your choice. There are some reports about switching to synetithic has caused oil leaks, so do some research.

Best Answer Mark helpful
64,135

Motorcraft Synthetic Blend is what I'd run. It has conventional and synthetic. You can get it at Walmart. It is reasonably priced and a great oil. Amzoil is a cult oil in my opinion and the extra cost is not necessary.

73,915

I agree with TS,if you haven,t ran it,dont start now,could do damage to that year model,stick with conventional oil.

9,400

Right, the existing deposits can ge loose and go run and get deposited where you dont want them. Like plugging drainback. And a tempo with a 2.3L does not necessarily have the resale value to warrant this kind of meticulous worry. Save your money for steering parts. They eat them faster than any car I know. They updated the design requirement to slow the rate of failed parts. Those living on unpaved road or driveways had more often returned a second or third time for steering repair.

9,400

Right, the existing deposits can ge loose and go run and get deposited where you dont want them. Like plugging drainback. And a tempo with a 2.3L does not necessarily have the resale value to warrant this kind of meticulous worry. Save your money for steering parts.. They updated the design requirement to slow the rate of failed parts. Those living on unpaved road or driveways had more often returned a second or third time for steering repair. when those were new.