How hard is it to replace the distributor Hall effect sensor?

Asked by Feb 19, 2009 at 03:05 AM about the 1992 Ford Thunderbird LX

'92 Tbird, 3.8L V6

After 164k miles, or so, the car wouldn't start.  No spark out of the coil.  
Replaced the Ignition Control module, and nothing.  Careful inspection under the Hall effect reluctor wheel found a little metal clip and a small, loose powerful magnet.  When I removed the reluctor wheel I found scrape marks on the inside of the wheel tabs.  The down stream side of the hall effect sensor housing (plastic) was blown out and the magnet and clip were loose inside the distributor housing.  

How hard is it to replace the sensor?  Does the distributor shaft come out?
Has anyone ever seen this before? Can I save the engine timing?

My first attempt will be to epoxy the magnet back into place, but the plate on the shaft is pressed on and so access to the plastic housing is not good.

35

my suggestion is to replace the sensor and not try and epoxy the magney back in! I have owned a few v6's and its not worth doing that. Thet aren't hard to replace and fairly inexpessive. You only have to remove the two 6mm hex head bolts and remove the sensor. you don't have to pull the whole syncro itself. unless the tab that rotates through the sensor is damaged.