2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser wont start..

Asked by Mar 03, 2016 at 01:02 PM about the 2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Limited

So Im having this problem where my Pt cruiser was cranking and id drive it
a couple of different places and cut it off and it wont crank back up..I turn
the switch and nothing it doesnt make noise or anything. the lights and
everything on the dash board comes on but it wont crank so i went to a
mechanic and he put a new starter on the car and i left him and the next
day the car did the same thing i let the car sit at my job for three days and it
still wont crank, i called the mechanic back and he told me that it may be a
shortage in the ignition switch but when i called and spoke with Irmo
Locksmith they told me that if the security light was coming on and going
off on the dash board then it wasnt the switch..so i called the mechanic
back and now he's telling me that he called and asked the people where he
got the starter from if they sold him a bad starter and he said they told him
that he needed to change the starter relay could that be whats wrong with
the car and why its not cranking or could be something else? Please help
me this is my only means of transportation and i need help bad i cant
spend money i dont really have

Someone please help!!!!!

Bottom line, the mechanic that diagnosed your problem as the starter needs to fix his error and refund you the labor charges. I would take my car somewhere else. I realize money is tight, but this is exactly what getting squeezed by a shifty mechanic looks like. Auto repair is trial and error sometimes, a mechanic will replace what he/she thinks is the problem and work their way to the actual problem. When you don't have a ton of money or the car isn't worth much as in your case (The PT is glorified Dodge Neon), I would find a reputable shop who isn't going to give you the run around. You always ask them to diagnose the problem first, and to call you before replacing the parts. Then ALWAYS get a second opinion unless you trust the first mechanic implicitly. You might pay two diagnostic fees but you find out what the problem really is and can prepare for how much its going to cost. I know this is tough when money is tight but look at the situation you are in now. You paid to have the car fixed, the car is not fixed, the "fixer" is shifting accountability to the parts store and not making things right, a locksmith is involved, and I GUARANTEE you, you are in for another couple hundred dollars worth of repairs. Next time, take it to the dealer if you can't find a trusted mechanic. They will charge you more, but they will do it right, and they warranty their work, and the parts so if there is a problem, you drop the PT off at their shop and pick up a loaner to drive while they correct their mistake. This is an expensive lesson to learn. Essentially a locksmith isn't going to know anything about a vehicles ignition, especially car specific information. Has the mechanic told you what codes the car is throwing? These OBDII codes tell him what is wrong and what to fix. In this case, it might be an electrical issue like the ignition switch or coil pack. ONE WAY TO TEST this theory is to take a rubber mallet or a light small wrench, open the hood and tap the starter (don't bag on it, but tap it really good), attempt to start the car. If it starts, the problem is the starter, if it doesn't, the problem is the electrical.. I wouldn't waste more money with the mechanic, my insurance covers towing, I hope yours does, have it towed to the dealer, tell them you were taken by this other mechanic, that you are broke and you need transportation. It's been my experience (and other people will tell you otherwise) but its been my experience that they will 9 time out of 10 go the extra mile to help you and complete the repairs right. Let me know how this goes and if you have further questions please, feel free to drop me a line by sending me a direct message. Best of luck.

Best Answer