Trying to fit an automatic 2005 pt cruiser transmission into a 2002..

Asked by Sep 02, 2015 at 01:31 AM about the 2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Limited

Everything fits. Torque converter flex
plate, pressure plate starter even
bolts up. But as soon as I bolt it up
it's locked in place and won't turn
over by hand I put the old
transmission In and turns over by
hand fine.  Casting numbers
2002. 782AE-UU
2005 782AE-EE

69,625

What doesn't turn over by hand, the torque converter? If so 2 things. If you are using the converter with the new trany, check the pilot nob in the middle that goes into the crank shaft of the engine, and see if the diameters are the same, and check to see if the torque converter is all the way into the trany, you have to rotate the converter and push it in at the same time to get it in all the way .

Nob on the converter is in line and center.. Torque converter is all the way stabb "drops into two positions " till seated.. All bolts are correct flex plat is straight and so is pressure plate.. But when I match the two up.. And start to tighten the bell housing down it locks the engine up completely.. I'll back it them off just even 1/8 inch and it's free??

69,625

Ok, what I was asking is on the diameter of the pilots, torque converter and were it slides into the crank shaft, I ran into this before. the torque converter pilot, (knob) was too big. Also when checking the torque converter placement it should be about 1" to the mounting surface of casting, to where the bolt lug face is of the torque converter, your fingers should not slide behind the torque converter and housing. Use a straight edge across the casting mating face and measure down to a lug of the torque converter. Something is binding when you tighten. I'll be here and keep checking in.

69,625

Had to respond, your getting far down the list, how is this project going, what did you find out?