Pcv valve hose when connected won't allow car to start

Asked by Apr 28, 2017 at 10:05 AM about the 2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Base

The PCV Valve may be bad, change out the pcv. Air, or vacuum only goes threw it one way.

Replaced the pcv valve and it's still doing the same,all vacuum lines are in the same spots,didn't start having this problem until I changed out the timing belt.

Are you sure the timing marks where good on the timing gears? Just thinking if it was off a tooth, it may not be be drawing on the intake stroke correctly.

I thought that too,I work at a dealership and had another tech look at the timing marks before I put everything back together,and it was right on mark,the engine runs good as long as the pcv valve hose is off,but when it's on it won't even start.

Well, I would only be guessing now, its like there is too much fuel going threw, needing more air for combustion. Check out the fuel situation?

Why do people always leave out important information when they ask a question? Since this coincided with the timing belt change I would double check all the work that was done. Get another opinion.

Okay even though everything was aligned properly when I first put it back together,I'll first check it with a timing light just to see how far off it is since it's such a pain in the butt to do anything on these engines,the question I have though is if the cam timing is off than wouldn't that affect the starting regardless if the pcv valve hose was on or off?

I would make sure the IAC and MAF are hooked up properly.

Do a compression check. You might have a burnt valve. Why did you replace the timing belt?

the waterpump was leaking and with the vehicle having over 142 miles,nothing had been done to maintain the engine,I was already in to replace the waterpump so the timing belt only made sense,went back to adjust the timing again because the first time it was a tad off,found out that was problem,the engine started without hesitation and sounded good,so far so good.