2001 PT Cruiser overheating problems

Craig Ramirez

Asked by Dec 30, 2014 at 11:40 PM about the 2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser Base

My girlfriends car has been overheating the last couple days. We would put coolant
and it would be fine. When we would park it, it would make a gurgling/bubbling noise.
Then today after we would put coolant, it would still overheat. I filled up the overflow
tank. I would let the car run to try to get all the air bubbles out, but it didnt do anything.
When I would turn the car off, it would start pushing all the coolant out and it would
only do it when I would turn the car off. I would put more coolant while the car ran but
nothing happened until I turned the car off, then it would push the coolant out. Could it
be the thermostat? the car doesnt leak any coolant. Motor is a 2.4L DOHC 16 Valve

I have the same problem, changed the thermostat, it did not fix it. A lot of people are saying it may be the radiator fan, there are two speeds and the lower speed often burns out or the relay switch is bad. It seems to be a common problem for the PT Cruisers, my next step is to write to Chrysler to see if there was a recall. Good Luck! PS: I also changed the radiator cap made no difference.

I feel like I'm one of the me too guys. My 02 pt cruiser will run fine for a few days then it hits the fan. Pardon my play on words, I have spent quite a bit changing the cheap parts. When it overheats it boils back out of the coolant reservoir. I am wondering if the PCM has anything to do with the fan not running at the proper speed? Anyone

The problem with my PT Cruiser with the same problem was unfortunately the Head Gasket, they want to put an engine in that has 50+ thousand miles on it in my car. I presently have 71000 miles on the engine that is in it. I bought the car used, it is under warranty. Good Luck to you

Just got mine back after experiencing the exact difficulties you describe and putting $1,700 in for a new head gasket, water pump, and thermostat. Topped it off with replacing the timing belt which has nothing to do with the overheating but recommended replacement is at 100,000 miles and mine had 95,000 at the time. Rather replace it now than pay the extra labor charge to re-open the engine. Good luck with your repairs.

i have the same symptoms I ve been told that it could be the idle control sensor that's what im going to try today wish me luck

I've read all of your problems guys.about overheating. Did you bleed the cooling system when you filled coolant ?there is a bleeding port over the bypass pipe or tube from the water pump going to the heater core.and check fan relay too.one thing more try to put the heater on while doing this for awhile. Thanks...