need help

Asked by Mar 02, 2014 at 05:06 PM about the 1992 Ford Escort 2 Dr LX Hatchback

my neighbor has 1992 ford escort and when she was driving it died on here. i took a look at it and it sounds like its not getting fuel. the cutoff light comes and check engine..i check the switch and it wasn"t tripped.i took it out and unplugged it and popped it up a couple of times. and nothing. can you help

59,115

Start with the basics. Is it getting fuel and spark? If so, run a compression test. If all cylinders test low the timing belt has broken. If it's the 1.8 liter you can reset the valve timing, replace the water pump (while you're right there), replace the timing belt and be on your way. If it's the 1.9 liter and the timing belt broke it's done. The 1.9s were interference engines. That means that when the timing belt breaks the pistons slam into the valves and bend them. The result is you need to have the head rebuilt. HTH. -Jim