I have 2004 thunderbird it won't pass inpection. How can I restset my computer

10

Asked by Dec 01, 2014 at 05:32 PM about the 2004 Ford Thunderbird Base Convertible

I put 100 miles on my T.B. so it can pass inspection. and it keeps failing  . How can I reset my computer on the car.

261,945

You might be able to reset it by removing the negative battery cable for 20mins or use a code scanner to clear the codes. But if there is a fault then light will come back on. So fixing the problem as to why the light is on is a better solution. Any local auto parts store will scan the codes for you, post them back here and we can help further.

10

Hi Tom, If I disconnect the battery would I have to put another 50 miles on it again to reset? Thank you Ro

10,820

Most MVA or private inspection will not pass a car with less than 50 miles after a reset (some require more than 50 miles) Also they won't pass a vehicle within a few days of a reset. I assume it's an emission issue Most guys/women here can't give you advice regarding alternatives but perhaps if you research your problem ... say on Ebay ... you may find a remedy

261,945

Tom is right. most state rules are very stringent. It sound like you are trying to skirt the issue of fixing the car correctly for inspection. There is no actual "reset" as your trying to describe. You can clear the codes if they exist after you fix the problem, but if there is a hard fault, the light will come back on. No set # of miles or starts and stops.

10

My car doesn't have any lights on. I took out the battery and put a new one in. Ever since I did that! it doesn't pass inspection. This has been going on for a few months know. What can be wrong? yukon

10,820

When you fail they give you a readout telling you what needs to be fixed .... what does it say?

10

I think it said not ready. I was told to drive it and put 50 miles on it.I put over 100 miles and it still won't pass inspection. What eles could it be.

5,645

Well, it looks like you have three choices; 1. fix the problem regardless of cost; 2.Sell the car; 3. move to another state without the test. Good liuck

10,820

Sounds like curtain #1 Not many people will buy a car that won't pass inspection I don't think there is a state in the nation that does not have some sort of inspection You are asking a question that has no answer based on the information you are providing. No one fails a vehicle inspection without being told why they failed.