Engine Swap

Asked by May 31, 2013 at 02:38 AM about the 1993 Ford Thunderbird LX

Would an 03 to 04 Mustang Cobra
engine fit in my 93 thunderbird LX? It
already has a 5.0L in it.

685

It is possible to put any engine into any car. The real question is, do you want to take the time, the money, the patience, and the modification of the car/engine/transmission to do the engine swap. The short answer is yes. However, the transmission will have to be changed out as well.

45

If the thunderbird has a v8 in it I don't think the tranny would have to be changed. It would probably work with very little hassle if a qualified mechanic did it. Good luck, J

First answer: Yes I would love to take the time and money to do this swap i love to cobra and my T-Bird so why not have both and for chance have something different. I've seen the engine in fox's a lot on youtube but never a T-Bird, well to my knowledge any way. Second answer: I was just going to go all the way with this and putting a T56 trans in it as well.

5,195

As someone once said, you can put almost any engine in any car if it is worth the time and money. Now more to your car. If you are going with the 390Hp 4.6 Litre V8 you will have some problems but it is doable. I would buy it with the 6-Speed OD transmission AND the ECU unit as you probably will never get it working without it. This engine has the intercooled supercharger. GOOD LUCK

Yes I am looking for the engine and the trans together with all the wires and ECU together. Do you think I am going to have an issue with the fire wall?

5,195

Maybe the shifer but I am not sure of that. Do you have stick now? My guess is you will need to re-work the tunnel in some manner. Remember, Murphy's Law. If it can go wrong, it will.

No I have an automatic now. So know I will have to get a nother center console for the hand brake.

10

My boy friend built me a t bird 94 lx. 4.6 v8 it's wicked went pi heads on the 4.6 msd ignition costly . Cams . Headers straight pipes . Twin t3 turbos. With a safe shot nitrous kit . Has upgraded ecu. Fuel injecters .intake . He's blown it up a couples but it scares Me to drive it.

10

If you go from 5.0 to 5.0 cobra may have to modify some your biggest issue is finding room for the intercooler if you have one have smaller custom ratiator is your best bet but will still have to modify to get room for intercooler like they said you will have to have the correct ecu. The t bird is a good sleeper car the t56 trans you will have to modify to inatall. Good luck hope with it

Would a 1996 ford expedition engine fit an 1995 thunderbird?