What would happen?

Asked by Nov 29, 2012 at 12:28 AM about the 1993 Ford Thunderbird LX

Hello it might be a dumb quistion lol.
Would my TBird have a little more
power if I put 91 fuel in it? Just
wondering. What are the cons and
pros of this fuel change? Would
some thing happen to the engine?

First, there are no dumb questions, Only way to learn. Only very high compression engines, or supercharged, need 91 octane, your T-Bird is fine on regular and 91 will not give you more power, MPG. It would not harm the engine, just be sure to use a detergent gasoline

Best Answer Mark helpful

Ok cool thanks a lot. Cause my friend wa saying that it would give me more power. I told him no hahaha!!

Typo( was saying )

Your friend is mistaken. It won't. There is absolutely no need to spend an extra 20- 25 cents , like I say I will do no harm, but no benefit either

105

not more power just better gas mileage and it would run better

PS that includes additives also. A good detergent gas, which not all gas is, is just fine. If you are not sure you are buying detergent gas, no need to ask the clerk at the cash register, he/she would not know 90% of the time. Use Shell, Chevron, Mobil, the convenience stores often buy inferior gas, there are standards that must be met to sell gas, and also, mid-grade is just when they fill the tanks at the station they put about 75% regular then 25% premium in the same tank, if octane was checked it will not be 87. Weights and measures do not regulate that, the seal on the pump only guarantees that you get 10 gallons when the pump reads 10 gallons.

Boxchevy, I respectfully disagree. It will not run any better and get any mor MPG. All it is the benzene molecules give a higher octane a lower flash-point, making no difference in energy produced. It is for High compression cars that need fuel with a lower flash-point to ignite, or a supercharged positive pressure induction needs that lower flash point

175

The only thing that you will notice is that you will have less money in your wallet.