1993 Thunderbird Fuel gauge stopped working, car has been sitting for a long time, but has been started occasionally.

75

Asked by Oct 12, 2011 at 01:07 AM about the 1993 Ford Thunderbird LX

My fuel gauge stopped working. The car has been sitting for about 6 years, and I have started it up occasionally. More so in the summer months to mow grass, and rarely in the winter. could the gas cause this problem as it gets older?

old gas will varnish in the gas tank,it needs cleaning out and the sending unit in tank is likely bad,that is what works the gas gauge,if you go that far into it replace the fuel pump and fuel filter.

75

OK, thanks papa, I am not gonna be spending any money on the car since I have to sell it, was just hoping to get the gauge working so it will pass inspection. I have plenty of time to put into it, but no money. I guess i will have to drop the tank.

as far as I know the fuel gauge dont have to work to pass inspection,I inspect vehicles and have never failed one for a gauge not working,it says nothing about it in the inspection manual.but im in VA,one of the hardest states to pass a inspection,also been doing it for 35+years.