Car will not idle when cold

Asked by Oct 15, 2013 at 02:13 PM about the 2001 Ford Explorer Sport 4WD

2001 Explorer Sport, will not idle when the outdoor temp. starts getting colder. Anything below 45 it will not idle at all until it warms up. I have to unplug the MAF sensor to get it to run untill it warms up. Then it won't idle until I plug the MAF back in. I replaced the MAF thinking that was the problem however it is not and I can't really figure it out reading the car repair manual either. Has anyone else had this problem with their Explorer?

Check your throttle body and Idle control valve, they get dirty with carbon and cause a rough idle and stalling if really dirty. Check youtube on how to clean these with throttle body cleaner. Is your check engine light on? If so have the vehicle scanned for codes.

Jarion Clayton

seems like its time for a tune up. I had a Explorer XLT years ago that would do this. Ended up being a vacuum leak on the engine. Take a good look at your vvacuum lines and getg a set of sparkplugs and wires.. MOTORCRAFT

Jarion Clayton

Seafoam makes a aerosol can with a long plastic tube for throttle bodies and fuel injected vehicles. Remove the lines and shoot a good blast everywhere you can get it.. it works wonders.

I did change plugs and wires and that did not help this problem. Will try the Seafoam as soon as I can find it in an aerosol can.