fluid (coolant leak)

17,080

Asked by Apr 16, 2013 at 05:15 PM about the 2003 Ford Explorer XLS V6

Fluid leak, looses radiator coolant ever so slightly.  Water dripping under vehicle on drivers side.  Water coming down electrical fitting which connects to tranny on drivers side about mid drivers side door.  Water coming from top of engine as observed from underneath.  Drop can be seen from opened hood, but not where coming from.  Water tempid but not as hot as in plastic recovery tank.  Any suggestions?

yes. pump it up with a pressure tester and watch where it sprays from....replace~

you might turn the breeze clamps if they are there or if a frayed end chop off and move it forward~

hey. you're the Ford Explorer Number one expert, feels like I'm being tested now~

you may have to pinch off the overflow tank while performing the test, there are hose pinching pliers just made for this task from your auto parts supplier, else you could use two small wood blocks and a vice grips, but that's kind of a hillbilly style~

17,080

Don't know about # 1 expert roy. But have own four new explorers since mid 90's to 2003. It doesn't make an expert, but I have just about come across everything. All the explorers are handed down to the kids now. Which means the vehicle doner also becomes responsible for repairs. Creeping up on mid 60's, eyesight not quite as good as it use to be, and gaining 50 lbs since retirement means climbing on top of engines and under explorers becomes a little difficult. That's shy I purchased a new F-150. I'd have to gain another 75 lbs not to fit under that one. Anyway, just asked because I thought someone came across the same problem before and could point me right to the location. Would save me the chore of borrowing the neighbors gyn mats to spread around in the event I fell out of the engine compartment onto the driveway. Thanks.

hey they got me as the #2 porsche expert just cause I asked if it had a jetronic? I don't know about these things, but someone decided "this guy knows"....puhhh~ never replied to me, not once and somehow 'expert', you know a few things, maybe you know what to ask, that's probably it?

not 60 but 45, disabled with MS, they won't let me work, so it's this or porn sites all day long...you know something. may as well share it is my feeling despite nay sayers and purveyors of negativity and belligerence, thankfully there's the little button you can report the negative guy~ OJ you just gotta send your kids in there to get their hands full of coolant, instead of you....get used to a dictator tone...command them~

got a cap coolant pressure tester that fits your radiator? borrow one or get a cheapie, just for one or two uses anyways you gotta find out where this leak is, hopefully it's not from your block or heads~

http://www.amazon.com/Stant-12270-Cooling-System- Pressure/dp/B0002SRGWU/ref=sr_1_1? s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1374525962&sr=1- 1&keywords=coolant+pressure+tester

10

you can buy Explorer Radiators at 1800 Radiators in Manassas Virginia...for 150.00 dollars plus tax.

17,080

Found the problem. The upper hose is connected to a cheap plastic housing on top of the intake manifold. It's leaking. Found it after pressurizing the system. Replacement rather easy, but the part is still plastic holding the thermostat. Ford definitely didn't have a better idea with this one. Part cost a little over ninety bucks at a parts store.