how do i turn my anti theft light off on my 2002 ford explorer

Asked by Jul 21, 2013 at 05:48 PM about the 2002 Ford Explorer Limited 4WD

our ford explorer 2002 theft light is on and it won't start. so how do we turn it off

This happens if you put the wrong key in accidentally. Get into the Explorer and insert the known correct key into the ignition and turn it. If you use the wrong key, such as one that was cut to open the doors, the system will remain armed. If the car then starts, then you have disarmed the anti theft system. If not, move on to this: Ford Explorer keys have large black plastic, or molded rubber, heads. Inside the head is a transponder chip that is programmed to a certain code so that the transponder recognizes the key. When you are sure you have the correct key, try to start the car with the spare, if you have it. If the car still refuses to start, move on to next step here: Wait 15 minutes, until you see the flashing rate on the red light on your dashboard decrease to normal speed and then try both keys again. If this still fails to start the car, raise the hood and disconnect the battery for 15 minutes, then reconnect it and try again.

92,565

Do you have keyless entry ie a keyboard on the drivers door? If you do then push the 7/8 and 9/0 at the same time, that will lock all doors and arm system, then enter your personal code to unlock unit that should disarm the system. If you do not have keyless then use the door key and lock the drivers door wait a few seconds then unlock the door and that should disarm the system. If this fails to disarm then disconnect the battery turn on headlights, wait a few minutes, turn off headlights, reconnect battery and perform above procedure again and that should do it.

20,235

wow, good answers, and cars vanish every day anyway! Just give me a car with no alarm at all ,i'll use my own theft device!

92,565

SW, Colt, and Ruger all make good antithieft devices.

20,235

emm! hemm!

70

I had to replace the ring reader and get new keys

110

I tried everything nothing works why is this so hard I gotta go to work

50

Have 2002 Ford station wagon I can't get the stolen flashing light to stop help

50

Thrift my ass it is my junk and now no power steering

92,565

Melissa. Try starting a new thread, this one is almost 3 years old. That being said, have you tried running the shut procedure with the key? Power steering is belt driven, make sure it didn't pitch the belt, if not these Exploders are know to have steering rack problems. So a power steering pressure test would be able to tell you if it is the pump or the rack.

10

Have a 2002 Eddie Bowers ford explorer can't get antithieft light flashing fast. Radio comes on but when turn key everything goes off

92,565

Sounds like a voltage drop problem, check,the battery cables for corrosion, post and terminal ends must be shiny clean, no black corrosion, also bend the cables some and listen for a cracking sound, if you hear that noise then replace the cables cause corrosion has got inside and ruined the cable. Now you really should start a new thread as this one is really old. You will get more responses.