ford explorer 2002 showing theft light and will not start, how do you override

Asked by Nov 12, 2011 at 02:52 PM about the 2002 Ford Explorer XLT

I was working at the back of the car and left the front door open. when I tried to start car, it was showing the theft light and would not start. What should I do

11,065

Found this in the explorer forum.. Hope it helps.. Put the key in the ignition, and turn forward all the way just before cranking. Then within 5 seconds, locate, press and hold in the valet/overide button, found under the dash area, (push button, spring loaded) until the installed LED (the blinking light) in your dash area goes on solid, and the siren chirps once. (Your valet switch might be the toggle (on/off) type. in this case, key on, flip switch in opposite direction, then turn the key off.) This should reset the alarm, and reset the grounded relay on the starter wire, allowing you to start the engine. At this point, the only thing working would be the keyless entry from the alarm, if it came equipped that way. Just Repeat these steps to place it back to usable armed mode. You may get 2 chirps, confirming it, and the lights may flash twice as well. That should do it.

22,760

The situation I describe is on my 99 explorer. A locksmith was changing the ignition switch and after doing so went through the program sequence for the new lock. He could not get the car to turn over. After an hour I returned and he was still having difficulty. I noticed the drivers side door was open and he manually pushed down the door lock. On the 99, if you do this you have to use the key fob to lock then unlock the door for it to start. Hope it works.

480

micheal can you explain that in more simple way i get confused when you say... . (Your valet switch might be the toggle (on/off) type. in this case, key on, flip switch in opposite direction, then turn the key off.) This should reset the alarm, and reset the grounded relay on the starter wire, allowing you to start the engine. At this point, the only thing working would be the keyless entry from the alarm, if it came equipped that way. Just Repeat these steps to place it back to usable armed mode. You may get 2 chirps, confirming it, and the lights may flash twice as well. That should do it.

70

I have a 2000 Explorer the alarm totally shut it down. A friend said disconnect battery ,wait 2 minutes, hook back up wait 2 minutes ,turn key on ,wait for chiming to quit ,turn key no then off 3 times will hear a reset clicking and horn honk . I did this ! now it will turn over but not start ! I called guy & he said take coil pak off & turn over , would be rusty , it was so I sanded it clean , put new fuel, plugs , sprayed starting fluid in it to no avail ! HELP

22,760

Robert: Enter the vehicle and close the door. With the key fob cycle the lock/unlock a couple of times and try to start. If the engine cranks, but does not start, then the problem is not with the anti-theft system

280

So I got a 2002 Ford Explorer just bought it went to hook a car stereo system in it now the theft light is blinking it'll turn over but not start I've looked on these pages and done everything these people that tried but still nothing works please help and cannot find this little button underneath the dash spring loaded cannot find

280

Or toggle switch underneath the dash

40

Take off the top cover of the steering wheel or theres a little square cover you can pop open with a screw driver. Put the screw driver in the opening and push down on this piece that is spring loaded and pull down on your shifter. Put your car back in Park and start your car! Hope this helps you guys!

40

And.... that was just done on a 2003 Ford Escape...

Why does it take 3 seconds for my 2005 transmission to kick in

I have the same problem

30

Key will not turn in ignition; theft light is blinking

30

I have a 2002 ford explore as well. On Aug 22nd of 2017 i drove it to the store and it drove fine. I came out and tried to start and the dash lights worked, windows ect but would not turn over. I replaced the battery, alternator, starter and stater relay fuse 50amp, and power relay also 50amp. it finally started. Today I drove to work and noticed that the message center light and radio light went dim and came back on strong after a few mins. When I got off work same thing no start. please help

I am working on a 2002 explorer, after the 800seconds interval, it will pop up "no loaded key".