2004 Monte Carlo front end vibration

Asked by Aug 18, 2014 at 09:08 PM about the 2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS Supercharged

I started having a wheel vibration a few years ago. I thought at the time it was a wheel
balancing issue. I had the wheels balanced at several different shops. After that didn't
work, I replaced the rims and tires because they needed it anyways. I replaced the wheel
bearings because they were bad, but now have to replace them about every 4 months
because they go bad that fast. I assume the two issues are related. A shop
recommended I replace the half shafts as they thought they were bent. I did that
yesterday and am having the same annoying wheel vibration. The front parts are tight
and have no play.

I am totally stumped, anyone have any ideas?

58,555

Yes check your strut,s,they will cause this.

Struts are brand new too

58,555

If you have replaced all you say,i think you may need to check your trainsmission.Unless car was wrecked,then it could have bent frame,You have replaced every thing else.

58,555

May be bad transmiision mount,all so.

Yeah, I was hoping that wouldn't be the answer but it's the only thing left. Thanks for your help!

11,425

How old are the tires? Not looking at wear, but age. I had tires on my garage Sunny, Sunday drive only Corvette. Less than 8,000 but 11 years on them. Developed a bad vibration couldn't find. Finally got a bolt in one, and had to get new tires as they were too old for DOT to authorize shops to work on them. Vibrations gone with new tires. Shop said tread started to separate. If you can rotate or exchange tires from a friend, see if that stops the vibrations.

Tires are about 6 months old, almost brand new. vibration existed with the old tires as well. really frustrating.

11,425

Did you buy the car used? Was there any modifications done, like heating the springs to lower the front end? Anything changed that you know of in the suspension? The car is 10 years old, and not knowing the driving history or type of driving done, it could be any number of part failures or damage. Do your tires wear normal? They may tell a story of what is the issue. Any cupping of the edge of the tires, wear on the inside or outside? Uneven wear? Could it be bushings or a bent axle. There is something putting undue weight on the wheel beari9ngs to wear them out at an abnormal rate. Bent axle is a good guess. If you have the time, go to a good car repair shop and have them give a look at parts that may be out of place, damaged or replaced or any sign of prior damage. A bent, twisted or tweaked frame may cause the wear on the bearings and have lose/worn parts. It sounds that you have replaced almost everything that normally would cause the issues, now it's time for searching into the suspension parts and or alignment of the parts. A vibration sounds like worn idler arm or broken or lose tie rods.