Whay is Reasonable cost to replace head gasket.

70

Asked by Jul 25, 2012 at 10:11 PM about the 2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS

Car never overheated until today. Pulled car off road when I saw the gauge go to 3/4. By time I shut
down the vehicle it was in red zone and engine overheat light came on. Total time less than 2 minutes.
Shop says I have blown head gasket. Is this possible? Car went from cold to overheat in less than 8
minutes. What is reasonable cost to repair?

12,735

If the shop is right and you blew the gasket you would, ballpark, have $1000 to $1400 range. It does seem unlikely, but possible that you took out the head gasket in this short of time. I would get a second opinion to make sure.

70

Thank you so much Aztec. I am taking it to another shop. They said that sometimes the intake manifold gasket is the problem and that gets misdiagnosed for a head gasket. The first shop did the gas leakage test and said it turned colors. Could the intake manifold gasket cause the same reaction?

12,735

Yes it can. Sounds like the second shop you took it to has a better handle on your issue.

1,845

yea the intake gaskets are common leak on gm v6

70

Aztec and Kevin, I very much appreciate your input and expertise. The intake gasket would be much less expensive to repair. The first shop wanted 3000 dollars to repair and with that they included a new radiador, because although they found nothing wrong with it they said it couldnt be tproperly cleaned, Also a new thermostat and plugs and wires, oil cange also. Does all that seem right and neccessary.

12,735

Just the fact that they didn't find anything wrong with your radiator and they still want to replace it is reason enough to not give them your business. Any good radiator shop will clean the cores on a radiator for about $175. It's easy to check the flow of a radiator. Shouldn't be any guess work there. With an intake gasket job it is always a good idea to change oil. It is also a good time to change plugs if they are anywhere close to 75,000 miles. Thermostat is a good idea. Wires also probably a good idea, again depending on mileage.

70

Thanks again Aztec. You are appreciated.

12,735

Sure thing

105

hey aztec, i have a chevy malibu 1997 with 175,400 miles, all highway. my car started throwing anti freeze up the reservoir cap, i took it to a local mechanic and he said it was water pump, when i left lot it had same previous issue again, i was told to put a new cap on it because cap might no be holding tight anymore, me not knowing much did it and said ok. i then took it to another shop because it had same issue, i was told they fixed a fan relay , i took car with and then it broke down super far away, spilled anti freeze on ground and behind engine, i poured more a/c in it and it would spill straight down, i had it towed to shop again and was told to leave it there, he said he changed thermostat, a sensor and flushed radiator and installed 2 hoses since they were broken, i picked up car today and its still over heating, i called mechanic and said it has to be head gasket, whats your opinion on that and how much you think im looking at,

Honestly the head gaskets would have been my first thought but when the first time it shot fluid up it would make me think to look for other leaks or find out if some how air has gotten into your lines but as for the first problem it was your head gaskets by the sounds of it and no shop likes to deal with head gaskets at lest not for cheap that's why I did my own

35

I paid 435.69 for parts and a few tools I didn't already have. This was on a 2001 Malibu 3.1, 155,230 miles. Tack on the rental car, still had to go to work and the total came to $710.79. It took me a total of 10 hours over a 4 day period. After puting the upper intake on I discovered it was cracked at 4 of the 6 bolt holes, cost 80.00 at salvage yard. I fault the shop which did the 1st intake repair ( 75, 000 miles) I know better now. .

60

I have a as Monte Carlo it is leaking oil around the oil pan I think it's the gasket but I also see the manifuel there what can it be and how much am I looking to pay ?

10

i

10

I have a 2003 Monte carlo 3400 and tonight it started running rough and the engine light was on. NEVER got hot but when I shut it off and tried to start it the motor only clicked so I jumped the motor, It did run rough and noticed a odd smell and looked to see a bunch of white smoke out the exhaust so I shut it down real quick, I looked at the oil and it was clean with no anti freeze mixed however I started it back up and it blooms white smoke out the pipe could this be a intake gasket burning through the cylinders or do you feel its a head gasket failure as well. It has 180k on the clock and I have no idea when the intake gasket was last changed or if ever we just got it a couple of months ago

Aztec I have a 2004 Monte Carlo it over heats and it leaks anti freeze. I have o issues with the radiator and head gaskets were replaced two years ago the leak is coming from the top and its by the thermostats that we replaced already its cold and heater doesn't run what can be the problem guy told us the housing maybe cracked it shuts off from time to time but starts right back up please help me email is martyswillis@gmail.com