Hello, I recently put 50/50 Preston all makes all models coolant in my Monte Carlo, now today after driving on the high way my car stalled and from there was only able to drive in 3rd gear.

10

Asked by Dec 12, 2015 at 04:58 PM about the 2000 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS

What would be my best option to avoid any
further damage but also cost effective.

Kyle, I don't know how Prestone gets away with it, labeling 'All Makes All Models". but there is NO such thing. Your Monte Carlo calls for DEX_COOL (http://justgivemethedamnmanual.com/chevrolet/2000-chevrolet-monte-carlo-owners-manual) Chapter 6 Page 74

When adding coolant, it is important that you use only DEX-COOL (silicate-free) coolant. If coolant other than DEX-COOL is added to the system, premature engine, heater core or radiator corrosion may result. In addition, the engine coolant will require change sooner -- at 30,000 miles (50 000 km) or 24 months, whichever occurs first. Damage caused by the use of coolant other than DEX-COOL is not covered by your new vehicle warranty.

Cut and pasted from manual

110,085

Ford - from what I have read Dexcool is not what it is cracked up to be and may actually cause a lot of the problems you mentioned. In any case I don't think the coolant change has anything to do with engine stalling. Do you?

Best Answer Mark helpful

Cut and pasted from manual .... however I fail to see a link with that and the transmission

No, I don't see a link. We were posting at same time

I mean stalling

79,195

I don't think that the stalling and transmission issue has anything to do with the coolant. Sounds like a problem with the torque converter clutch in the transmission sticking on. When you shift into 3 the torque converter clutch is disabled. If the torque converter clutch is stuck on it will stall the engine as soon as it's put into drive. Probably the torque converter clutch solenoid inside the transmission. HTH. - Jim

10

Thank you all I'll sludge it to a transmission shops as soon as possible how much would the torque converter solenoid cost to be replaced

79,195

My Sister had hers replaced on a '93 Cavalier that she owned. At the dealer, about 15 years ago it was around $400. HTH. -Jim