Is there a fuse to the fuel pump? Also, was told 2nd gear was going out in my 1994 ford explorer automatic transmission. Can just one gear be fixed or does the whole transmission need replaced?

Asked by May 24, 2014 at 04:53 PM about the 1994 Ford Explorer 4 Dr XL 4WD SUV

My 1994 Ford Explorer 4X4 has a slipping issue with transmission.  It is an automatic.  I
was told it was 2nd gear.  Can that be fixed or will I need a whole new transmission.  Also
My fuel pump is not coming on, could it be a fuse.  I have been told if its the fuel pump it
would cost around 800.00 to fix it because the pump is in the gas tank.

there will be a fuse and probably a breaker and an emergency shut of switch that turns the pump off if you were in an accident (sometimes even a small fender bender can trigger the emergency shut off) Look in your owner's manual for fuse,breaker and emergency shut off.

Now gas tank pumps can be easy but usually not and I'd get a couple of prices and have a signed quote from whomever you chose to do the work.

Tranny - voodoo - I'm guessing but probably never changed the fluid. Start with simple drain of tranny and new filter etc., lots of people say this fixes nothing but I have had many tranny problem go away after a complete drain (drop the pan - not a flush) Put in a conditioner Not a stop leak and drive about 50 miles then drop pan. Drive a day or two then suck ( cheap siphon pump and small enough hose) up as much fluid as you can get out of the filler tube and refill what you took out, That's a start - there is more to try if that doesn't work.

If you want to try more d.i.y. then post back with the tranny model on your car and we can see if it's one I know or can find out about. Probably a part mechanical and part electrical like my 1994 caddy. The outside mechanical part can be played with, the inside electrical is a different story.I fixed when 4T60E myself.

my proof reading needs some work - should be- I fixed my 4T60E myself

Thanks so much, I am a girl so don't know how to find tranny model. Would it be in my owners book? I can check fuses for fuel pump though.

I know a lot of females can work on cars, I'm just not one of them:)

yes it would be but if you are not comfortable with some d.i.y. there would be no sense walking you through something ., Just do not tell the mechanic you don't know d.i.y., talk with confidence, ask questions,get more than one quote,ask around who's a honest mechanic and when you pick the one you want-- get a quote on his business form before he starts.